facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Headlight bucket wiring

• motomike33y
  • motomike33y's Avatar Topic Author

Headlight bucket wiring was created by motomike33y

1971 Ct 1.  Trying to sort out wires.  Have battery power to rear blinkers, tail-light and horn.  No power to headlight or light in top of bucket, which I think is bright indicator.  I know engine must be running for headlight and I assume indicator to work.  Had tach wires hooked up as I could but no gauge lights or indicators working.  Did not have blue female paired up from tach.  Now all 6 unhooked.  Assume they pair up, but how and how can I test them?  Which wires from harness should bring power into bucket?  Have a brown with battery power and a dark brown with no power.  Should have power for front blinkers and gauges and indicators but I’m not finding enough.  Suggestions welcomed.
05 Mar 2024 10:30 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• motomike33y

Replied by motomike33y on topic Headlight bucket wiring

My assumptions are that gauge lighting would be powered when the headlight is on, ie when the engine is running, and that the tach gauge indicators are for the blinkers and neutral switch-which I would think would run off the battery. I have not tried to start the bike yet as it’s in my house as I sort out it’s various details first.
05 Mar 2024 10:42 #2

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Headlight bucket wiring

When doing my own tests in the past, I have found it easier to disconnect all of the wires, remove them from the headlight and then take off the headlight bucket. There is then a load more space and light to work in. Reverse the procedure once everything is sorted.

The wires can get dirty and also fade over time, making things even trickier!

You should have triple females for both sets of indicators - dark green for right and dark brown for left.

Front indicators should earth on the handlebars - paint/powder coating can inhibit this.

You can use a battery to test the indicator, clock illumination and headlight bulbs.

If you have a circuit tester (I use a light, but volt meters work just as well), you can test the main ignition switch using the 'legend' shown in the service manual (available to download from the Tech Library).

Don't forget that the engine needs to be running and the ignition switch needs to be in the second position for the headlight and clock illumination lights to work.

If you're using the original 6v system, as opposed to a 12v conversion, then make sure that you fit a 6v voltage regulator, or a 12v headlight bulb. If yours is a sealed beam unit and it has blown, then a replacement is needed.
05 Mar 2024 10:46 #3

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Headlight bucket wiring

Just seen your second post.

Yes, horn, indicators, brake and tail light run DC from the battery. Headlight and clock illumination lights run off lighting coil when the engine is running.  
05 Mar 2024 10:49 #4

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Headlight bucket wiring

The blue that powers the gauge illumination wiring gets power with engine running. 

Brown is key-on battery power.  Dark brown and dark green power the signals. If the rear signals work as you stated, then the dark brown and dark green should have power in the bucket with the respective signal on. 

The turn signal indicator in the gauge is somewhat "genius".  It's a very low wattage bulb with left and right signal "power" wires connected to it.  When the turn signal switch selects right turn, the dark green wire to the gauge indicator bulb gets power.  The indicator bulb grounds through the dark brown wire that is connected to the left signals...  Yes.  It grounds through the bulbs on the opposite side of the bike.  This works because the power flow through the tiny bulb filament is not enough to make the high wattage signal bulb filament glow.  When you select left turn same thing in reverse, the gauge indicator bulb gets power from the dark brown and that lights the left bulbs and it get its ground though the dark green connected to the right side bulbs. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Ht1kid
Last edit: 05 Mar 2024 11:03 by MarkT.
05 Mar 2024 11:00 #5

• motomike33y

Replied by motomike33y on topic Headlight bucket wiring

Found and got all the respective wires hooked up to the tach. No lights work, but I’ll wait until I get bike started to see what happens. Thanks for the assistance 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
07 Mar 2024 16:42 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart