facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

120cc Yamaha AT1 from 1970

• slavborg
  • slavborg's Avatar Topic Author

120cc Yamaha AT1 from 1970 was created by slavborg

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1970 AT1 as my first ever 2-stroke bike, and have been having problems with the electrical system. I looked through some similar threads on the forum here, but weren't able to find answers to my questions so I started a new thread here.

So the bike starts and runs when it has a fully charged battery, but after a few km dies with a dead battery, and cannot be started up again. I've found that when the bike dies the battery is always dead, leading me to believe that the electricity required for ignition is coming from the battery as opposed to the dynamo, and that the dynamo is not charging the battery. I followed the instructions from a thread elsewhere on this site to remove the cover and access the dynamo, and found that there is a loose wire not connected to anything. There were some other posts that discussed the electrical wiring there, but they all focused on the wires leading to the screw terminals on top. I also couldn't find anything in the manual I have for the bike. I added some photos below in the hope that someone here could help me. What is that wire for? Where is it supposed to be connected to? Could this unattached wire be what is preventing my dynamo from working properly, thus reducing my motorcycle's range to ~5km per battery charge?

Many thanks in advance!
Last edit: 11 Jun 2023 14:03 by slavborg.
11 Jun 2023 13:55 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slavborg

Replied by slavborg on topic 120cc Yamaha AT1 from 1970

Okay, turns out that I cannot add photos to my post for some reason. Instead I've added them to Google Photos and shared the link here:  PHOTOS
11 Jun 2023 14:01 #2

• Ht1kid
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Ht1kid on topic 120cc Yamaha AT1 from 1970

Greetings from Tennessee 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

what color is the wire  where does the wire originate from if you can see don’t take it apart yet also did you check the tech library for a service manual or wiring diagram 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: slavborg
11 Jun 2023 16:01 #3

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic 120cc Yamaha AT1 from 1970

I'm limited use [no use] but when you have that wire sorted to where it fits, be sure your 4 brushes are still under tension & not bottomed out in the curly spring things.
I'm surprised you don't get a lot more than 5k's running on a full battery if kick starting, & i'd expect a lot more running.
Could probably work it out in theory by the battery stated amp hours divided by the ignition coil draw--should go for hours unless running with lights on.
Sorry all irrelevant to your 'real' problem. My AT1-1970 has magneto ignition. But we sold both models down here in NZ.
After all that--Welcome!!.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, slavborg
Last edit: 11 Jun 2023 16:07 by RT325.
11 Jun 2023 16:04 #4

• slavborg

Greetings back from Canada!

That's the thing, it doesn't have a colour. It just appears to be an wire without any insulation on it (looks like this) . And I checked the service manual but didn't find anything that helped.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2023 16:20 by slavborg.
11 Jun 2023 16:14 #5

• slavborg

Thanks for the advice!

As for the short run time, it is really a problem. The battery is probably quite old and I should get around to replacing it in the near future. Having said that it is always running with the front light on. It's a legal requirement here in Canada, so it's wired to always be running when the key is on.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
11 Jun 2023 16:18 #6

Replied by Clegg on topic 120cc Yamaha AT1 from 1970

How many wires are connected to the black connection (the last screw attachment)? I just looked at mine and there are 2 wires connected there. I believe that loose wire needs to be there at the black post. I took photos but yes, they will not attach right now. I usually am able to post. I'll try a host site.
1971 SL350, 1973 Bultaco Matador, 1978 XS650, 1979 MX175, 1982 XT250, 1982 GS650, 1982 CB450T HAWK, 1979 IT175, 1977 Suzuki TS185
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, slavborg
11 Jun 2023 16:41 #7

• Agop
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Agop on topic 120cc Yamaha AT1 from 1970

Am no expert !... 
Looking at the photo you posted ... and looking at my bike, looks like your condenser is missing .
Bernard. ( UK - Berkshire )

Yamaha AT1e
Last edit: 12 Jun 2023 00:27 by Agop.
12 Jun 2023 00:26 #8

• Agop
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Agop on topic 120cc Yamaha AT1 from 1970

Look in Tech Library.. 69-71 AT1-CT1 PARTS LIST.
PAGE 38... part nbr 11
Bernard. ( UK - Berkshire )

Yamaha AT1e
12 Jun 2023 00:30 #9

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic 120cc Yamaha AT1 from 1970

Condenser is down the bottom only half visible behind the timing tab. Follow the black wire around from the points. Had me looking & looking that did lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, slavborg
12 Jun 2023 00:32 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart