facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Fuel in Exhaust?

• Cruiser84
  • Cruiser84's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Cruiser84 on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

One more for your viewing pleasure... and yes, I know how short my shorts are... no I have not burned my leg yet.

:Ugh
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
02 Jun 2020 18:50 #51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by apex on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

Good job using the boot. That's my trick when starting bikes where I'm worried. I heard it idling then the pop and stall. Have to say, sounds like advanced timing.
Allrighty Then
02 Jun 2020 19:24 #52

• Cruiser84

Have a feeling it may be timing or still carburetor related. Not exactly sure how to set the timing as I don’t know what to look for and am pretty sure I don’t have the correct tools.

Now that I have it idling again, I may take it in for a proper tune up. Just not sure who the guy to go to is in the Newberg/Portland Oregon area. The few repair shops I’ve talked to already want to basically rip everything out and rebuild... 1) not needed 2) expensive 3) even though I am not looking for a show quality bike, I’d like to maintain the classic and functional mechanics of this beauty, scars and all... damn I love patina!
03 Jun 2020 13:49 #53

Replied by Swoop56 on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

This may or may not be relevant at present . I too have a DT1 B . I used to have issues with starting
after it had sat for some time . Fuel used to leak out of carb overflows after a while .
My sidestand had a bit of a bend in it , so when on the bare stand it was on a substantial lean .
I used to prop it on top of piece of 4x2 timber . That seems to be a common solution .
The sidestand did get an update for DT2 /3 . No longer, but was braced better .
I also cut the DT2 stand and added 50 mm in the middle . That may have been a fraction too much ,
as I think 45 mm would be a wee bit better .
I do tend to turn the fuel tap off a couple of hundred metres from home , so the float bowl isn't full
while sitting . With those improvements , mine usually starts within a couple of kicks .
03 Jun 2020 17:32 #54

Replied by RT325 on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

Mainly electrical misfire but a bit cold blooded in the carb but i suppose it 'is' a cold start. Ok, first thing check the crank key incase broken & flywheel has slipped a bit . Second check points gap about 14thou max, no more. Thirdly does it alter with the lights 'off', as those early one i think somehow earth the ignition source through the lighting coil--wish i new why--& if the points are set too wide it affects the ignition when lights are on. But that might be more when the lighting coil windings come loose on its core/pole thingy. Could try closing the points to 12 & things like be sure the wire to the points is tight. Also eyeball the mag in the dark while running & see if there's random sparks. Points will spark visibly but not like a welder. You'll need a proper flywheel puller to get the flywheel off, & make sure its very tight on refitting. If you don't have a puller-- 27mm x1pitch & left hand thread, then check points gap first & try it with the lights off & also close the plug gap to 20.
04 Jun 2020 07:48 #55

• Cruiser84

Did the timber thing for a while, but just recently I went to put it on the stand and it bent on the bikes own weight. It has now been removed and just rests against the muffler guard.
04 Jun 2020 10:30 #56

• Cruiser84

RT325, I don't believe the crank key is broken, however I'm not 100% where to be looking.

I need to find a fly wheel puller... suggestions? Also, any advice to remove the flywheel wheel cover off without using a impact gun?

Once off, I plan on checking points and timing. Does anyone have a link to acquire new points? Found this on yamahapartshouse.com:
Contact Brkr Assembly 214-81321-20-00 1M1-81321-20-00 $71.99 --- Seems steep.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2020 11:10 by Cruiser84.
04 Jun 2020 10:33 #57

Replied by Krash on topic Fuel in Exhaust?

I had a similar running issue with my CT3. What I found was a fuel passage blanking plug had fallen out of the carb. The hole created by the missing plug would cause a high idle. I live in the Portland area.
29 Sep 2020 09:38 #58

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart