facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

• principal282
  • principal282's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Points was created by principal282

I’m struggling with points today.  I’m not seeing them open at all.  I installed points from partzilla oem.  

any ideas as to what I am doing wrong other than I am a total newb?

15 Oct 2023 09:44 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Points

First thing. Have you lightly sanded the contact faces? New points often come with a light coating of preservative on the faces which must be removed before electrical contact can occur.

Second thing. You fitted the points and fitted the generator rotor? The points cam is on the inside of the rotor.

Third. You fitted the points slightly loose and put a screwdriver in the slot on the points base and moved them down till the points opened? Getting the points to open anywhere on the cam base circle is the first step of setting, then lever them till they just close again.

After that, you can get the motor in the correct position to time it / set the points.  Usually 14 thou is ballpark right.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2023 10:00 by Tinkicker.
15 Oct 2023 09:58 #2

• principal282
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by principal282 on topic Points

All great points.  I did get them to move, they were pretty sticky.  Maybe my next time I get I will lightly sand and make sure I follow all the steps.  It’s been a minute since I did this and that one was a rebuilt stator from DEET, I lined it all up and it took very little adjustment at all.  

I also have two little helpers ages 8 and 9 in my shop and my concentration is not the best when I am looking at AI pictures of the dog hahaha.  Trying to teach them both a little bit they don’t have a very long attention span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: msavitt
15 Oct 2023 10:12 #3

• principal282
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by principal282 on topic Points

Good night America, we have spark.  
my kick crank sucks.  

But the points are now set and set perfectly.  

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, msavitt, Sneezles61
16 Oct 2023 21:05 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieMini Enduro ManJames Hart