facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

bike only runs with head light plugged in and on

• squirrelgripper
  • squirrelgripper's Avatar Topic Author

bike only runs with head light plugged in and on was created by squirrelgripper

Hello i just picked up a dt250 1974 i'm having issues and it's driving me nuts.
the bike fires up if the headlight is plugged in and light switch is on the ON position and the High beam on.

If the bikes running and i either turn the headlights to the off position it dies instantly same for it if is running and i turn low beam on it will die

with the headlight unplugged it gets no spark period 

So far I have tried new lighting switches thinking it was grounding out and killing the bike
both new switches do the same thing
i removed the lighting coil after seeing it was damaged thinking maybe that was grounding something out but still no change.

any help would be appreciated .
27 Mar 2023 12:38 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• squirrelgripper

Replied by squirrelgripper on topic bike only runs with head light plugged in and on

also should the black and yellow wire have continuity between them off the coil ?
27 Mar 2023 12:41 #2

DT250 is mag ignition unless changed to later cdi. So black from the mag is your only wire to provide spark. So run 'that' mag black straight to the plug coil & see if she keep running.
Re-reading, you now have the lighting coil 'out'/ Not sure what to say next--make sure the ignition stator coil is earthed. Earlier DT's with two lighting/charging coils had the lighting earthed into the ignition source somehow--not sure how it worked. But if one lighting was loose on its post & shorting out it played up in the ignition. Don't think yours will be like that. Original issue sounds a bit like wiring colors mixed up. There's different shades of browns & greens although that's not ignition related. Bikes eh!! just when i thought i knew it all--i no nothing. Always new problems. Points gap within spec & not way over 15thou!!.
27 Mar 2023 13:56 #3

Engine mount bolts tight. Loom earth ok at the coil mount under the tank. Rectifier not blown & backfeeding the battery. Should run with ign switch totally unplugged as only earths out the wire from the mag to stop it Black with white tracer would be involved with that.
27 Mar 2023 14:00 #4

Greetings from Tennessee  

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

27 Mar 2023 15:38 #5

Umm, greetings from me too in NZ.
27 Mar 2023 16:02 #6

You are going to need to disconnect the ignition switch completely.

Run a 6 volt power lead to the OPEN POINTS ( cardboard ) and touch the red 6 volt wire to the condenser with the spark plug out and connected to test the source coil. You should get one spark per.

a
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: squirrelgripper
27 Mar 2023 17:13 #7

• squirrelgripper

Replied by squirrelgripper on topic bike only runs with head light plugged in and on

I will try this Friday 
tha KS for the reply everyone. It does run with the ignition unplugged I did try that last night. 
I'm gonna upload of nice video of the bike running and dying soon as the switch it moved 
28 Mar 2023 12:55 #8

You could have a bad ignition switch. Put a tooth pick or a stick in there with the key still in on position number 1 where it stalls out - wiggle the key..

a
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
Last edit: 28 Mar 2023 14:14 by asco.
28 Mar 2023 14:13 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart