facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT3 tail light blows after installing regulator.

• pahiker
  • pahiker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I installed a regulator per tech bulletin M5-084 on my RT3. Thanks MarkT for the suggestion for the pigtail, plug and play is great! After installation I went on a ride and after 50 miles the headlight was still working fine. I noticed it no longer gets brighter when you rev beyond a certain amount, unlike before. When I got back from the ride I noticed my tail light was out, but the stop light worked. I believe on the RT3 the tail light is driven from the magneto (same as headlight) and the stop light is from the battery. Found 1154 Sylvania long life bulbs at the auto store and looked like a close match, but when I installed one it quickly burned out. Do I need the exact 6V21CP(1154) part number 122-84514-30-xx bulb to prevent this, or did adding the regulator protect the headlight, but allow excessive voltage to go to the tail light and if so do I need a regulator there? Two steps forward, one step back, lol. Searched forum, but no hits for this particular issue. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
1973 Yamaha RT3
2024 Suzuki DR650
2023 Triumph Tiger 1200 GT Pro
18 Apr 2024 16:59 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic RT3 tail light blows after installing regulator.

The tail light, brake light, horn and turn signals work off the battery. The rest of the lights work from magneto. I have had plenty of RT3's and never had any bike blow out bulbs and never installed a regulator either.

1970 DT250C
18 Apr 2024 18:38 #2

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
RT3 tail light on a USA model is run off the battery which in effect acts as a rudimentary "voltage regulator"...  if you have a bad or no battery...  or possibly a different type...  (different type of battery may not be able to absorb the excess voltage like the original wet cell in good condition can.)

In my experience, taillights often fail from vibration...  or sometimes a new bulb just pops...  loose bulb socket, cracked fender, loose light...  things like that can increase vibration. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
18 Apr 2024 18:42 #3

Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic RT3 tail light blows after installing regulator.

Making sure you have all the correct size bulbs in place, none burned out and a good proper battery in the bike with correct wiring you should be good to go. I suppose adding a regulator for extra insurance in case you do blow a bulb or 2 so the rest of them don't blow can't hurt......... but like i said i never had an issue on any 68-73 Yamaha Enduro blowing bulbs out over the last 20 years working on them and i have worked on many. 

I always made sure (ALL) bulbs were correct size and working, full charged battery in bike and checked the output with engine at around 2500 rpm and up to 8000 rpm before ever turning on the lights and reving the engines up. Last thing i wanted to do was burn out one of these old rare original headlights. Any other bulb can be replaced easy. I always double checked all wiring and tested the rectifier as well. 

So like Mark mentioned 1st questions i would ask is does the bike have a good full charged battery in it. Is all the wiring good and connected properly? Did you test the charging and lighting capacity on the bike? 

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
Last edit: 18 Apr 2024 19:54 by SKYDANCER46.
18 Apr 2024 19:01 #4

• pahiker
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks all, when I installed the new tail light bulb, I left the tail light lens off and used a mirror to watch it quickly burn out when I changed the switch to position 2. I found that the turn signals glow (not flash) when the brake light is activated and flash slowly at low rpms and faster as the revs build. When I got the bike the battery appeared to hold a charge, but failed a load test so I installed a new battery, but it still loses charge over time, so something in the charging system doesn't appear proper. I tested the rectifier and it flows .575 ohm in one direction and 0 in the other, so that appears ok. Electrical whack a mole, lol. It's a shame, since the bike runs fine except for these gremlins.
1973 Yamaha RT3
2024 Suzuki DR650
19 Apr 2024 03:50 #5

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic RT3 tail light blows after installing regulator.

Sounds like you've got a short/bad contact somewhere. Just a matter of starting one end and working through to the other, checking and cleaning contacts.

If it only happens when the main switch is in the second position, it might be worth checking the connections on the base of the switch, and also circuit test the switch itself (details are shown alongside the wiring diagram). Post again if this doesn't make sense!
19 Apr 2024 04:42 #6

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
First thing I'd check is battery connections.  Bad battery ground or bad connection or even corrosion in the fuse holder? 

If stator power can't get to the battery through solid connections, then battery can't charge up or act as a reliable "voltage sink" to prevent overvoltage to a bulb. 

You might have just had a defective bulb too.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, pahiker
19 Apr 2024 05:42 #7

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Not read up to date on this but!!
If its like ours in Ociania "nz" in my case the tail light is from the mag so should have a blue same as instruments & if the reg is into the blue it should go everywhere related to AC, headlight included. If battery powered tail then--i'm lost. I guess tail would be a light brown to be DC powered but take what i say with a grain of salt--unless it makes sense.
Be sure the rectifier is connected as they corrode off terminals. I've seen Regs hooked to the yellow from the mag which would work--i think--but only good if the lights are on all the time. Might overheat it with lights off & high revs. As i said--don't take too much notice, i'll go & read back all the posts later.
20 Apr 2024 03:49 #8

• pahiker
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Tested the wires to the tail lamp and looked ok. Decided to test the "burned out" bulbs and they looked ok too! Decided to back out my update (unplugged regulator wire), fired up, switched to position 2 and tail light now worked, crazy! Looking in the headlight wiring there appear to be 2 sets of blue wires, the left arrow shows my pigtail and the right arrow shows another blue wire that goes into a black plug. Does it matter which blue wire I tap into? Also found tach/speedo and high beam indicator bulbs are toast, so need to get new ones before I do further testing. How do you remove the high beam indicator without breaking the bulb, does the black case separate? Tried push and twist, but didn't cooperate. Thanks again to everyone for your guidance!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1973 Yamaha RT3
2024 Suzuki DR650
Last edit: 20 Apr 2024 14:55 by pahiker. Reason: Punctuation
20 Apr 2024 14:54 #9

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Yes it matters.  One of the blue wires technically should have a stripe?

Background: On the USA models they had to run the taillight off the battery so they added a second blue wire circuit for taillight.

Two checks...  one is with engine OFF and key in the LIGHTS position, one of the two blues coming from the key switch will have battery power.  That's the taillight blue...  one blue comes down from the key switch and connects to a blue that goes into the harness heading towards the rear of the bike... 

The other check is, as I believe the bulletin states, the blue wire to tap into is the blue from the key switch that powers the speedo and tach gauge illumination bulbs (and the hi-lo switch on the handlebar.) It's normally not hard to identify the blue from the switch that connects to the blue gauge bulb wires which is what I do.

I can't see enough in the pic to tell for sure but my guess is the rubber connector goes to the handlebar switch and is the blue you want?

(To add to the confusion, Some US bike models may have used solid blue for the battery operated taillight and blue/white for engine powered headlight...  and then at some point they swapped that around on the later bikes?  Plus stripes can be hard to see and are not always used consistently.  Always best to trace the wires and/or use a meter.)

P.S.  The bad news is the regulator might have fried if it was connected to the battery.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, Ht1kid, pahiker
Last edit: 20 Apr 2024 21:16 by MarkT.
20 Apr 2024 21:13 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart