facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Cylinder Liner RT

• Franjo
  • Franjo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Cylinder Liner RT was created by Franjo

Hi there,
does somebody know something about the RT cylinder liner. All of the members of our RT-Club have liners like the photo Typ 2 where the transfer ports are part of the aluminium wall. Mine is the shown as Typ 1. The transfer ports are part of the steel sleeve.
When or why did Yamaha this change?
With this cylinder I've the problem to get it sealed at the base. Tried everything (single paper gasket and then with different sealers). Now I have it down for the fourth time. It seems that 2-stroke-oil passes to the holes of the front studs and fills it a bit. Each time when I take of the cylinder an amount of oil runs down the studs. And that is exact the point where the base gasket always leaks. The rear studs are dry.
Does anyone have an idea?
With regards
Franjo
02 Dec 2020 04:13 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by nhsteve on topic Cylinder Liner RT

I seem to recall a very long thread on the previous enduro website (this is, I believe, the third iteration of the site- could be wrong) where one of the members was having a leak issue on a (.....DT? RT? CT? AT?) that was driving him nuts. It was a very, very long thread, and the man was very persistent in his search for a solution.

I do not recall the exact fix, but I seem to recall that he wound up basically sealing the interface between the iron liner and alloy cylinder with loctite. They do make several types, including one intended to be applied on a fastener after tightening. I believe he dribbled something like that between the liner and cylinder.

As I recall also, I think he was using a leak-down test to determine that he had the problem, and after he had done this and allowed it to dry and reassembled, the leak-down passed.

Are you doing a leak-down, and does your issue show up when doing that?

Sorry about the fuzzy memory, it was awhile ago :Ugh
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
02 Dec 2020 13:08 #2

• Franjo
  • Franjo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Franjo on topic Cylinder Liner RT

Thank you Steve,
I thought it must be something like that. No easy job. I never took a liner out of a cylinder. Not sure I can do that in my workshop.
Must think a little longer about that.
With regards
Franjo
03 Dec 2020 00:21 #3

Replied by turbodan on topic Cylinder Liner RT

I didn't know Yamaha did this. Hodaka used to. Casting the transfer ports with the iron sleeve eliminates any mismatch at the transfer port to cylinder wall junction. Usually in the type 2 cylinders, which is most of them by far, there is some degree of mismatch between the tunnels and the ports in the sleeve.

These cast in sleeves are not removable, especially the type 1. I think if you were to apply loctite or some kind of sealant you would have to apply it at the joint between the cast iron sleeve and the aluminum body. If you have a gap, capillary action will draw in the sealant, assuming it is not too thick.
03 Dec 2020 10:18 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart