facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

71 RT1 Ignition coil

• Keltanf
  • Keltanf's Avatar Topic Author

71 RT1 Ignition coil was created by Keltanf

Howdy everyone!

Finally got some free time to work on my bikes and was able to get my RT1 running! She took a sec but actually ran decent.

I noticed while trying to start it up that the coil that came with the bike is old and the lead for the spark plug wire is moving inside the housing and giving me intermittent spark.

Has anyone used one of the eBay replacements or have another recommendation? Thanks y’all!
09 Dec 2023 12:06 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic 71 RT1 Ignition coil

On some models you can change just the wire I’m not sure on the RT1 been a long time if it has the screw in cap you can 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Tinkicker
Last edit: 09 Dec 2023 15:27 by Ht1kid.
09 Dec 2023 15:24 #2

Replied by Tinkicker on topic 71 RT1 Ignition coil

Picture worth 1000 words.

As HT1 has said, if it has a screw down lead cap like the one here, you can remove the cap, unscrew the lead, cut a 1 /4" from the end and screw it back in.  Coils like this were common probably up to the mid 1970s.
Once you have the lead screwed back on, it is best practice to smear the cap threads, the lead where the cap fits over and the cap o ring or rubber seal with a generous amount of dielectric grease.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

If it looks like this later type one, it is a sealed unit and replacement is the only way.  Canny manufacturers realised that HT lead manufacturers were selling a lot of aftermarket HT lead, but the coil makers were not selling many aftermarket at all.  Of course they said it kept moisture out better....

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Schu, Ht1kid
Last edit: 10 Dec 2023 00:16 by Tinkicker.
10 Dec 2023 00:00 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart