facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Muffler Paint?

• Penske
  • Penske's Avatar Topic Author

Muffler Paint? was created by Penske

First post is a question. I have a 1971 CT1 and about to pull the muffler off for sanding the light rust then paint it. I know it will need a hi temp paint but any ideas on which finish would look original! I'm thinking a satin but not sure. Also any tips on what to use to sand it would be appreciated. Thanks
18 Oct 2020 08:00 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic Muffler Paint?

I like to get my parts media blasted it there is any rust. For paint I agree that satin looks good. I've used Rustoleum BarBQue Black (it is the one that is good for 1200 degrees) on all my enduros. Goes on easy and dries in a couple of hours. I've put 1000 miles on my DT400 and the pipe still looks like new...even right up where it attaches to the motor. No discoloration at all. The paint dries Flat but I take a soft leather glove and rub it down and the Flat turns to Satin. I'm very happy with the ease of use, the appearance and durability. If you decide to sand your pipes you'll need to finish in something like 400 grit or sanding marks may be visible after you paint. Good luck!
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
18 Oct 2020 09:57 #2

Replied by Schu on topic Muffler Paint?

I've used the same paint on several of my pipes and have had the same good results. However, be aware that if you splash fuel on your pipe, this paint will wash off like little kids water color paints. But it touches up nicely!
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
18 Oct 2020 18:36 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart