facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1971 Yamaha AT1C build thread

• JHof44
  • JHof44's Avatar Topic Author

1971 Yamaha AT1C build thread was created by JHof44

I figured it's bet to just put all of this in one place, because I'm going to have a lot of questions. Anyway, my intro is here: www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/...w-guy-from-san-diego

And some info on my engine is here: www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/...s/12430-input-needed

I've owned the bike for 29 years but haven't ridden it since I was a kid. Luckily it's been stored inside during all of that time in sunny San Diego, so rust is minimal. I'm the 2nd owner, my uncle was the first. He paid me for a summer's worth of brick laying when I was 11 by giving me the bike.

Today I got the wiring harness removed. I'll want to replace it. Normally I would hire my brother for the job, but he's neck deep in building my '67 F100 so it's best not to bother him. I dug out the pressure washer and gave the frame what I'm sure was its first bath in 49 years.

From here I need to replace a crank seal and clean or replace the armature. I have the seals and gasket sets, so it's just a matter of finding the tools. I also plan to address the clutch while I'm in there and replace all the cables.

I'll likely go the same direction I'm going with my truck build, which is to retain the 50 years of character while making it a more capable vehicle. New suspension, 175 top end, new tires etc are all on the list...but paint is not.

Anyway, I appreciate any and all input anyone has to offer!

20 May 2020 15:21 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JHof44

Replied by JHof44 on topic 1971 Yamaha AT1C build thread

Oh, I probably should mention this did start as a complete, unmolested stock bike. And yes, the Yokohamas are beyond their best years. This was the bike 3 days ago:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52
20 May 2020 15:26 #2

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by mdscott on topic 1971 Yamaha AT1C build thread

cool story you have keeped the bike for 29yrs. Is that your son, I'm sure he is thinking, someday-it will be mine.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
21 May 2020 10:17 #3

• JHof44

Yep that's my boy! He's 4.5 now and thinks he;ll be riding it to kindergarten in the fall. Little does he know that he's actually getting a 50 for his 5th birthday.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tex68w
21 May 2020 14:12 #4

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1971 Yamaha AT1C build thread

My sons are 24 and 26, and even though I told myself at the time to enjoy every second of it, and I gave up a terrific high school orchestra job to spend more time with them when they turned 9 and 11, I still wish I could take them on one more baseball trip at that young age...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, JHof44
21 May 2020 15:33 #5

• JHof44

I'm not having much luck finding a rebuild kit for my Mikuni vm24sh. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
21 May 2020 16:05 #6

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1971 Yamaha AT1C build thread

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=174152217507&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• JHof44

Thank you!
21 May 2020 19:28 #8

• JHof44

I'm slowly but surely confirming the direction I want this build to go. I plan to make it a street legal version of the AT1MX but with some modern suspension upgrades. Did a quick mock-up and got excited, might be time to start cutting and welding (only fenders!). Now, if only my wife would stop making me buy food for the family so I can buy a new top end I'll be styling!
22 May 2020 10:56 #9

This message has an attachment image.

• JHof44

While I’m waiting on parts I had time to go through the bottom end and get her all cleaned up. I’ll be replacing all of the seals this week and hopefully dropping the cylinder off at a machinist. When that’s done I’ll install the Wiseco the MX head. I still need to rebuild the carburetor but I’d like to find a largerCarb to use along with the MX head. Anyway once the engine assorted I will start tackling the suspension stuff.
25 May 2020 16:16 #10

This message has attachments images.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart