facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

12volt battery for 69 dt1b

• pmb
  • pmb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

12volt battery for 69 dt1b was created by pmb

I have looked on line and searched the forum for a previous thread and I couldn’t find any information. 
Im thinking of upgrading my 69 DT1B to 12 volt and I am trying to find a 12 volt battery that will fit the battery box. It seems like that is a hard find. 
I am hoping someone here has done the same upgrade and knows of of a small 12 volt battery that will fit. 
Thanks 
05 Jan 2024 12:16 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Knutco11 on topic 12volt battery for 69 dt1b

Just measured my battery box quick, working with 2 7/8" length, and 2" width, if your lucky.  Closest thing I see in the yuasa book is a yb2.5l-c.  Slightly too big though both measurements.  Mind me asking how your converting the stator?
05 Jan 2024 12:50 #2

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 12volt battery for 69 dt1b

If the upgrade to 12v needs a battery, then the retailer of the upgrade might supply, or give details of, the replacement battery.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
05 Jan 2024 12:53 #3

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic 12volt battery for 69 dt1b

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
05 Jan 2024 14:03 #4

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by pmb on topic 12volt battery for 69 dt1b

As far as the stator mod goes, I am not sure if or how I will do that if it is even necessary. So far all I have done is measure the output of the green, yellow and white wires coming from the mag. I used an analog meter so I could see the voltage fluctuations better. Digital meters are too slow to see what is really happening. 

with the engine at idle I see 12-13 volts AC from the yellow wire to ground. With just a slight increase in RPM the voltage jumps to over 15 volts and climbs with more throttle. I have to do more measurements to determine how it reacts to different loads. However my battery was pretty dead before I started the bike. 

If the voltage holds up from LED headlight and taillight and battery charge loads then it should be fairly easy. After all, the purpose of the choke coil is to tame the voltage down to prevent it from blowing up 6 volt incandescent light bulbs. With a couple large diodes or even a 12 volt rectifier/regulator it should be possible to get enough voltage with the current mag/stator. 

Now it’s totally possible that I am missing something and that it won’t work. Maybe there are others out there that have tried and succeeded or failed. I searched the forum for previous threads but didn’t find anything. Maybe my search was not thorough enough…

If anyone has any experience with this topic I would love to hear about it. 

Thanks for the responses. 

05 Jan 2024 14:11 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic 12volt battery for 69 dt1b

Some have simply installed a 12v incandescent headlight and gauge lights and left the battery circuits 6v
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Knutco11
05 Jan 2024 14:22 #6

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I just looked at that Yuasa NP1.2-12 battery. 
it will fit but it would have to be on end to fit into the battery box. Will it work that way? I realize that it’s a sealed battery. I am curious if the battery fluid will spill down and leave the top cell partially dry. 
05 Jan 2024 14:25 #7

I think the problems charging are alot to blame on the single diode rectifiers. If you used a full bridge rectifier, you could utilize the full wave of the ac output. HOWEVER.. this will not work, unless you isolate your negative from the frame of the bike. The reason being is that the other side of the stator winding is attached to ground. You would need to rewind both lighting/power coils to do it right, and be able to isolate the ac side.

Also, depending on your setup, the green wire with red stripe I believe is the most output, yellow wire is slightly less, intended for the headlight.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2024 14:55 by Knutco11.
05 Jan 2024 14:29 #8

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thanks for the tips everyone. I was thinking similar things to what Knutco11 said about the isolated negative. I am also considering what MarkT said about running 12volt bulbs and keeping the rest of it 6volts. Ultimately my goal is brighter lights. I tried a couple 6 volt LED bulbs and they were ok but not nearly as bright as I hoped they would be. I have a couple of 12 volt LED bulbs and I think I will try them. I still need to see how much of a voltage drop the choke coil creates. My understanding is that it will knock it down to around 8 ish volts. I may have to adjust it. More tests are required. Whatever I end up doing, I will post the results. 
Thanks again to everyone for your help and advice. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
05 Jan 2024 22:08 #9

Led lights are probably not the best answer for these old bikes. Unsure if know but you NEED DC power to operate an led light. By the time you rectify the power, even with a full bridge, you lose alot of power. I think the best upgrade would be 12 volt incandescent headlight like markt says. Keep the lighting circuit ac as much as possible. I believe the battery is required so if you break down on the side of the road, you still have a taillight. Blinkers and horn I suppose too if got them.
06 Jan 2024 07:31 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart