facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT2 clutch fade - springs?

• Tonysuzio
  • Tonysuzio's Avatar Topic Author

DT2 clutch fade - springs? was created by Tonysuzio

I’ve noticed after a couple longer days of riding on my dt2 that my clutch will get creaky, when I pull in the lever, and also seems to get pretty bad fade. The hotter the bike gets the softer the clutch pull feels. Wondering if my springs are tired, I replaced fibers, cleaned the steels and have fresh oil in it and still it behaves the same. 

wonder if I do go with stiffer springs, if anyone knows what to look for, if some from a Blaster or RD or some other Yamaha would retro fit my clutch?
28 Apr 2024 20:23 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic DT2 clutch fade - springs?

So is it actually slipping--revs rising but not accelerating. Long story ahead!! as it transpired.
I did have once on my DT250 about a "78 model where the plates used to swell up under hard forest riding where i was using the clutch continually.
It didn't slip or look like slipping but gave a lever full of nothing maybe dissengaging right back at the handlebar.
Leave it to cool & back to normal. I never did fix it as used it on the road after that so all good.
Come to think, it used to groan if i did a hard start in say a high gear, a very audible groan.
But wait there's more haha--i just remembered in recent times on my RT2 rat race bike i machined the basket to take some used plates out of something yamaha maybe my YZ465 but plate ears lined up but wouldn't clear the basket inside of the fingers--just!!.
So assembled & gave it heaps down the farm in a cultivated soft paddock & it went instant swollen through gearchanging under power. Lever back to the bar & not separating the plates. Didn't slip though.
So apart again & fitted my second old set from my 465 or 490 & worked perfect 100%.
Are alloy bonded fiber faced plates.
Anyway i can't recommend them as won't fit & i'm guessing as to their origin. The old hanging on the wall-trick.
Sorry very long life story about bugger all. {Plates swelling is my guess}.
Out of curiosity "what replacement plates have you used" & did you leave the pesky rubber rings out if fitted.
Might have to buy a better quality set of fibers.
Won't be spring in my opinion unless its slipping bad & has glazed up the plates.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2024 03:58 by RT325.
28 Apr 2024 21:53 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart