facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

What to look for in a XT250

13 Jul 2020 18:25
yamahahaha
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
What to look for in a XT250 #1
Is there anything to pay close attention to when considering an 1980, 1981 or 1982 xt250?

Are there any major differences in any of the 3 years?

Are there any common issues/problems?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2020 19:45 13 Jul 2020 19:51 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
What to look for in a XT250 #2

Not sure how common this is by my TT250 of the same model you're talking as XT250, cam was 'SO' warn out on one lobe it would hardly drag itself down the road. Made no unusual noises as the wear was on the lobe so tappet clearance was ok but just barely lifted the valve--inlet by memory] off the seat. Not bad bikes though. Had the odd one damage the CDI box at work but you'd soon know as they stay fully retarded & won't rev very high plus header pipe would glow red hot. funny thing is the symptoms of my worn cam & the non advancing box was quite similar, which had me fooled for a while. Was a free bike i was given as owner had run out of patience & ideas to fix it. Other problem they had--but more the TT250 as they got a harder time trail riding--was the rear shock, which once again you'd soon know because if faulty the rebound damping goes all bouncy boing boing. Won't go into why just now. Don't panic though, if it's a typical XT it won't have had a hard time compared to a TT. Nice to ride. Bit difficult to start as the kick lever is very high up. Smooth motor with a balancer internally. Steel tank not plastic "in my country". If you want to go trail riding a TT is better with 1mm bigger diameter front forks & other things. But don't let me put you off. Good bikes--40 years ago lol.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post shyted

15 Jul 2020 05:14
yamahahaha
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
What to look for in a XT250 #3
We're there any common stator or CDI issues?

15 Jul 2020 08:30
shyted
Collector
Collector
More
What to look for in a XT250 #4
Don't know about the CDI but cam pitting on them can occur. I have seen that twice with bikes from back then. One thing i do remember , a mate had one from new and with off road and winter use,the rims started to corrode on the inside but salt on the roads is a factor here so you may not get that in the USA.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart