facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pro/SimiPro Engine builders?

• motovate
  • motovate's Avatar Topic Author

Pro/SimiPro Engine builders? was created by motovate

Looking for a Pro or Simi-Pro Yamaha DT engine builder with references. Simi-Pro meaning retired Tech, or been building them all my life - know DT's inside and out and proud of your work have a day job but do it on the side because I love it kind of Guy (or Gal).

I have a 1974 DT 175. It does run and not bad. I've had it for awhile on my to do list & rode it around just a little bit. What I need is someone who can pull it all the way down and check everything to see if it's serviceable, change out seals for sure, clutch plates if needed, , points/condenser if needed and do some wiring on the condenser to move it from inside the mag ( if that is where it is and it isn't a CDI) to a long wire following the harness outside so I can mount the condenser up under the tank where it will run cooler, rings if needed, bore correctly if needed, basic port matching, reeds if needed, transmission, kick starter, make it pretty (??) etc.

I'm looking to poke around on it and also do some tiddler rides on it this summer and just want to trust the engine. I'd like to be able to get it done within a couple of months from shipping and it would be good if the builder is close to or in Arizona but not a requirement.

I know what it takes to do the job and am willing to pay a reasonable price for good work but I'm also tired and retired on a fixed income so just know I am not Daddy Big Bucks.

I didn't find any references to builders here hence this request.

Any Ideas????? :Excited B)

Thanks -

LBM
01 Feb 2017 15:17 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Makotosun on topic Pro/SimiPro Engine builders?

Where are you located? I am sure there are a number of folks with references in their area (I have a great builder I use) but shipping of a motor can be expensive.
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
01 Feb 2017 15:20 #2

• motovate

Replied by motovate on topic Pro/SimiPro Engine builders?

Northern Arizona outside of a nowhere burg called Ash Fork which is on Hiway 40.. I'm basically 50-60 miles from Flagstaff or Prescott and about 100 miles from Kingman. I just did the ship the engine deal on a Hodaka I have and figured out the hard way that UPS Kills you but the USPO is at least reasonable and actually quicker then UPS. So I know I have to take the shipping into it. It cost about $90 to ship the Hodaka complete. I think the DT is a bit heavier so I may have to pull the head & cyl to reduce weight and ship in 2 boxes and after building put the cyl and head back on - that's OK.

Thanks

LBM
01 Feb 2017 15:32 #3

You are reasonably close to St. George, UT. Given that, you might want to contact Rich who is a member here - RacerClam. He is in Leeds, UT on the 15.

Contact Rich @ 1-702-858-9177 or via email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

If he is not interested in doing what you need he probably has a good resource at least close. He builds amazing Hodakas and is a porting guru.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
01 Feb 2017 16:56 #4

• motovate

Thanks - I thought I answered you but must not of worked since I don't see the post here. I know Rich from the Hodaka Forums, just didn't know if he worked on DT's. Looked up his site and the email link didn't work. I think he was pretty busy with some other things - may be the reason link is down - I'll see if I can contact him.

LBM
01 Feb 2017 18:44 #5

You can send him a message through the site from his profile link here:

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/my-own-profile/1725-racerclam
The following user(s) Liked this Post: motovate
01 Feb 2017 18:49 #6

• motovate

OK- I gave that a try.

Thanks again.

LBM
01 Feb 2017 21:05 #7

Replied by RTD2 on topic Pro/SimiPro Engine builders?

Rich is a seriously good guy, he redid the chewed up cases on my DT1 MX and did a great job. Great guy to talk to on the phone, give him a call.
68 DT1, 70 DT1C MX, 71 CT1C, 71 RT1B, 71 DT1E MX, 73 AT3MX, 70 Husqvarna 250 Cross, 57 Matchless G80CS, 76 Honda Elsinore; 2015 Yamaha FZ-09; 2021 KTM 500 EXC-W
02 Feb 2017 07:51 #8

• motovate

I did talk to Rich today as you said a good guy. He's thinking it over and will let me know.

Thanks

LBM
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RTD2
02 Feb 2017 18:21 #9

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnie