facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

DT1F MXish RoadResto

31 Mar 2020 19:17 01 Apr 2020 18:37 by morethan2strokesyourwankin.
morethan2strokesyourwankin
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
DT1F MXish RoadResto #1
This be the blog for my DT1F, now ID'd as a DT3 thanks to the tech forum!

My ID tag is frame and engine matched although the tagging on the engine doesn't look original to me...

She came to me with a 21 on the front aftermarket levers, no blinkers, lights, switches. An old DT2 paint jobby in HOT RED!!!

The wiring looks to have been modified and I have a box of smoke and mirrors running the sparks from an innertube burrito.

Prior to this blog I've aquired and fitted Japanese used original blinkers, levers, an RT1 switch block, a b.e.a.utiful mirror, new set of sprox and chain custom cut from a crowd in the states, installed a filter onto the air basket....

The plan?
1) Keep the original/vintage mod appearance.
2) Return everything to functioning operation as factory with a few hidden/performance modifications (top end, port, sleeper pipe).
3) Register it for road use.

Priority will be to get all electrics going first, then overhaul, engine, pipe.

Sorry to be so pic heavy as a no-poster let me know if i need to pull my head in mods.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post jims175, 2fishkev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Mar 2020 19:22
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
DT1F MXish RoadResto #2

31 Mar 2020 19:26
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
DT1F MXish RoadResto #3

31 Mar 2020 19:37 31 Mar 2020 19:50 by morethan2strokesyourwankin.
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
DT1F MXish RoadResto #4
I'm looking for some help with re-wiring this DT1. I have the clymer manual which is helpful but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at is correct for this bike.

I still have my silicone rectifier still insitu but I'm missing the flasher relay and probably more.

I have no idea what my burrito box is but I'm assuming it needs to go to run lights, I would be happy to incorperate it if it meant i did not need a battery and could run a capacitor jobby setup?

I currently have 3 wires emerging from stator: Brown, Black and White/Red.

My first port of call is making sure i have the correct stator feeds to run both lights and coil.

Any help would be much appreciated, I came here after reading a couple posts detailing DEET as the man to ask, I'll refrain from PM quite you yet.

31 Mar 2020 20:30
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
DT1F MXish RoadResto #5
Welcome!

First thing is there wasn't technically an "F" model... Yamaha used the same prefix on the serial number for several model years... From what I remember of your serial number (too lazy to look for the picture again), you probably have a DT2.

Tech Library here has VIN tables and a lot of free Factory Service Manuals that should help you out a lot.

Good luck and keep posting those pictures! We love seeing bikes from around the world and what others have done and are doing with them!!

:Buds

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post morethan2strokesyourwankin

31 Mar 2020 23:54
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
DT1F MXish RoadResto #6
Welcome from down under in NZ. My guess is its a "73 DT3 due to the "21 front wheel [my "72 DT2 had a "19 front]. Engine numbers will sort that, although who knows what bits have been changed over the years before you bought it. Anyway--we love pics. To get it running all you need to worry about is the black from the magneto as that feed to the main coil--direct if you want just to get it running , or via the main switch if ya worried about it running away for some reason. just make sure the throttle is clicking right shut & you'll be safe.

01 Apr 2020 02:35
Swoop56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
DT1F MXish RoadResto #7
Likewise , I think you've got a DT3 too . Like RT already said , you have a 21 " front wheel ,
and front guard has a black stripe decal , that was on the 73 , but not the 72 .
I'm another Kiwi too from Christchurch . There are a few of us on the forum .

01 Apr 2020 14:17
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
DT1F MXish RoadResto #8
Hi Mark, RT and Swoop thanks for the welcome! Crack up about the kiwis, I should have known.

I did have my suspicions with whom this here bike was as shes reed valve for one which i know wasn't on the port valved DT1. I'm also susp about front wheel, guard, gauges (red line starts @ 8500).
So I'll have a good look through the tech library and hopefully find something more applicable than this clymer book. Hopefully i can still find a use for my RT1 loom.

RT, she runs like a top already, wicked powerband, plan is to get her road reg so i can enjoy her more often without getting pink stickered...

I've got nothing better to do these next 4/6/12 weeks so expect updates.
The following user(s) Liked this Post 2fishkev

02 Apr 2020 00:02
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
DT1F MXish RoadResto #9
Welcome! from the UK.

That front mudguard is correct for the 1973 models. They can be hard (and expensive!) to buy, so I'd hang on to it.

Tacho is definitely wrong, both in style and red line. However, if it does its job, then you could leave it for the moment and spend your dosh on more important items.

The original location for the flasher relay was underneath the battery box.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how the resto goes.

03 Apr 2020 22:44 06 Apr 2020 00:11 by morethan2strokesyourwankin.
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
DT1F MXish RoadResto #10
Thanks for all the hot tips love some experienced knowledge partaken.

Definitely plan to keep to og spec, love the 21 dirt config, guard will stay for ever.

*Goes to look under battery box with fingers crossed...

Bummer dude.

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart