facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?)

16 Feb 2020 19:20
Garmon61h
More
Topic Author
Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?) #1
Hi I’m Kevin and I’m 17, My dad bought this bike awhile back for 500$ for me. We’ve been looking for some parts (that are missing or need replaced), to repair it to fully working order. The high/low beam switch was broken, so that needs replaced. The right front turn signal is missing a bracket and screws. The key ignition is missing, and the right rear turn signal is missing. The bike looks a little worn bc it sat in some old man’s garage for awhile under some junk, we took apart a lot of it to fix some of the worn out wiring. I’ve looked on eBay and some other online sales sites and either didn’t find the part(s) or found them but they’re expensive. If you guys could help direct me in the direction of some of these parts it would be much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Feb 2020 19:33
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?) #2
Hey Kevin, welcome here.

Unfortunately you are looking for a couple of the more expensive parts. If you just care about running/working order and not having it all original, I believe you can just run without the ignition but add a kill switch to ground it, as that's what the key did, at least on the CT/DT models. I've never owned an AT so take that with a grain of salt as they are different for the wiring. If I'm wrong someone with more knowledge will chip in to correct me.

Original turn signals are really expensive because a) they are prone to breaking off when the bikes are dropped and b)not all of them shipped with them from the factory for the older models as requirements varied state to state, depending on where you are, you may or may not need them.

High/Low switch is kind of the same, without some aftermarket help these bikes are pretty much useless at night, so you could just ignore the switch and route the wiring straight to the headlight instead of through the switch, although looking at yours you can still joust route it through the switch and if it's permanently on high beam you can believe me that no one will notice.

All depending on your budget and how original you want it.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Yamaha RT2 360
1972 Suzuki TS 185 Sierra
2001 BMW F650GS

16 Feb 2020 21:32
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?) #3
Welcome!

Looks like a 1972 AT2. Check the VIN number against the tables in the Tech Library to verify.

If it is an AT2, it's 12 volt and needs a battery to run. So you need a switch to connect the battery to the points.

I have a big box of electrical stuff in storage and might have the switches you need. The problem is I'm kind of laid up right now and it's probably going to be a while before I can get there to look.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

17 Feb 2020 00:45 17 Feb 2020 00:46 by Gr8uncleal. Reason: spelling
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?) #4
Welcome! from the UK.

I agree with what the others have said. The only thing I would add is that a lot of parts were shared between different models, so check out sites such as Partzilla and CMSNL to see what these are. To do this, select the individual part on the relevant page, scroll down and a list of the other bikes that use that part is shown.

For the high/low switch, almost all Yamahas used that housing (stamped YHA 205 on the underside?) in lots of different permutations, from mopeds to RD350s. What you may well und up having to do is buy a complete switch that has a different part broken (say, the indicator switch), but where the high/low switch is ok and make one good part out of the two. You could probably sell on what you don't need, as someone will probably need it!

Check out pictures of the wiring that you need from the ignition switch (CMSNL often has good pictures, or maybe ebay) and check on the wiring diagrams in the manuals in the Tech library that these are, indeed, the ones for your bike. You can then widen the descriptions in your search - you know what you are looking for, but venders don't always know what they are selling!

Some vendors will often group lots of parts together and sell them as one listing, so search under "Yamaha lot", "Yamaha job lot", "Yamaha miscellaneous" - you get the picture! I repeat, if you know what the parts you need look like, you have a far better chance of finding them, and for a good price.

Good luck!
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT

17 Feb 2020 05:21
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?) #5
It looks like your bike uses a 261-82508-11-00 key switch. That part is only used on the 71-73 125 models. I only see one on eBay in poor condition. The picture looks like it is a simple 2 prong plug, so it different than the 6 volt bikes I believe. That being said, if the harness plug is a two pron, adding a simple off-on switch would work to get things going. A later year (74-76) 125 switch could likely be adapted if you could find one.

Check with DEET here on the forum who rebuilds all kids of the switches. He may have something, and could likely rebuild your other switch.

IF it isn't one thing, it's another.

17 Feb 2020 08:32
YAMABOBINTEXAS
Open Class
Open Class
More
Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?) #6
I may have a used but functional main switch. I'll check and PM you if I do.

YAMABOB

17 Feb 2020 10:16
Garmon61h
More
Topic Author
Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?) #7
It says At1-189939 on the frame, and yes it uses a 12v battery

17 Feb 2020 10:19
Garmon61h
More
Topic Author
Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?) #8

darinm wrote: Hey Kevin, welcome here.

Unfortunately you are looking for a couple of the more expensive parts. If you just care about running/working order and not having it all original, I believe you can just run without the ignition but add a kill switch to ground it, as that's what the key did, at least on the CT/DT models. I've never owned an AT so take that with a grain of salt as they are different for the wiring. If I'm wrong someone with more knowledge will chip in to correct me.

Original turn signals are really expensive because a) they are prone to breaking off when the bikes are dropped and b)not all of them shipped with them from the factory for the older models as requirements varied state to state, depending on where you are, you may or may not need them.

High/Low switch is kind of the same, without some aftermarket help these bikes are pretty much useless at night, so you could just ignore the switch and route the wiring straight to the headlight instead of through the switch, although looking at yours you can still joust route it through the switch and if it's permanently on high beam you can believe me that no one will notice.

All depending on your budget and how original you want it.

Yeah we used a toggle switch instead of a key ignition when we were testing the lights/battery, but it would be nice to find one that’ll fit.

17 Feb 2020 10:20
Garmon61h
More
Topic Author
Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?) #9

Gr8uncleal wrote: Welcome! from the UK.

I agree with what the others have said. The only thing I would add is that a lot of parts were shared between different models, so check out sites such as Partzilla and CMSNL to see what these are. To do this, select the individual part on the relevant page, scroll down and a list of the other bikes that use that part is shown.

For the high/low switch, almost all Yamahas used that housing (stamped YHA 205 on the underside?) in lots of different permutations, from mopeds to RD350s. What you may well und up having to do is buy a complete switch that has a different part broken (say, the indicator switch), but where the high/low switch is ok and make one good part out of the two. You could probably sell on what you don't need, as someone will probably need it!

Check out pictures of the wiring that you need from the ignition switch (CMSNL often has good pictures, or maybe ebay) and check on the wiring diagrams in the manuals in the Tech library that these are, indeed, the ones for your bike. You can then widen the descriptions in your search - you know what you are looking for, but venders don't always know what they are selling!

Some vendors will often group lots of parts together and sell them as one listing, so search under "Yamaha lot", "Yamaha job lot", "Yamaha miscellaneous" - you get the picture! I repeat, if you know what the parts you need look like, you have a far better chance of finding them, and for a good price.

Good luck!

I’ll try that thank you!

17 Feb 2020 10:21
Garmon61h
More
Topic Author
Yamaha At1 125 rebuild (Can you show me where to find some parts?) #10

YAMABOBINTEXAS wrote: I may have a used but functional main switch. I'll check and PM you if I do.

YAMABOB

Alrighty thank you!

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart