facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

1977 DT250

03 Mar 2020 18:58
Wax
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1977 DT250 #31
Haven’t had as much time to work on the bike as I would like, but I’m trying to make sure I still get at least one thing done on it every week.

The forks and front tire are back on and I got the front alignment straightened up.

Still troubleshooting the electrical system. So far I have everything going except the the neutral light. That’s a pretty straight forward path so fingers crossed it’ll get done this weekend.

Last couple of weeks have been a little frustrating since I only get a few hours to work on it and for every one thing I fix I find two more that need repair.

The cure for that was going for a quick ride last Sunday afternoon (parts dangling off the bike devil may care)

Going to try to use Citristrip on the rear fender since I’ve read good reviews of it being safe for plastic.

I had good luck cleaning rust off the underside of the fuel tank with toilet bowl cleaning gel and a soft rag.

Didn’t seem to mar the paint at all, but I may cough up the $20 for a gallon of metal rescue and save myself some time.
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, FrankC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Mar 2020 19:59
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
1977 DT250 #32
Just curious if you jiggled the shift lever to make sure it's in neutral? Might be something simple like that.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

08 Mar 2020 08:45
Wax
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1977 DT250 #33
Failed to say this before - big thanks to Bwestern for the gasket template file. It’s very useful.

Between work and family stuff I only had a few hours to work this weekend, but I managed to do a couple of things...

I double checked the lever position and wiggled it/ shifted in and out of neutral but never got the light to work again. I pulled off the side cover and tested the last bit of wiring and found it was good up to the switch.

I drained the fluid and pulled the switch. After a little cleaning it started to got work intermittently. A little more cleaning and it seems to be working.

It’s funny how getting a single bulb to work can seem so satisfying.

I pulled the reed cage and installed a new set of power reeds. I picked up a roll of fiber gasket material and made a replacement seal for the manifold. I also need to make a replacement seal for the crank case, but I ran out of time for this week.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC, darinm, Gr8uncleal

08 Mar 2020 11:00
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
1977 DT250 #34
As far as budget, it's important to remember that good condition bikes in that price range are probably unrestored and although they'd get you on the road sooner, you'd probably end up making a lot of the repairs you're already doing on your current project, so in the end you'll come out ahead.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Yamaha RT2 360
1972 Suzuki TS 185 Sierra
2001 BMW F650GS
The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC, Wax

24 Mar 2020 07:45
Grussell
Novice
Novice
More
1977 DT250 #35
I believe you can also adjust the horn by turning the nut slightly in the center of the front of the horn.

1978 DT400 (in progress)
1975 DT250
2018 YZ250FX (my race bike)
2010 Triumph America (my cruiser)

24 Mar 2020 08:06
Grussell
Novice
Novice
More
1977 DT250 #36
I am bringing an abused 78 DT400 back to like. The prior owner had painted the plastic, first with primer and then green paint. The green paint came fairly good with paint stripper, but the primer was a bear. I had success using Acetone and 0000 steel wool, which I read in one of Makotosun's post.

1978 DT400 (in progress)
1975 DT250
2018 YZ250FX (my race bike)
2010 Triumph America (my cruiser)

25 Mar 2020 08:31
Wax
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1977 DT250 #37

darinm wrote: As far as budget, it's important to remember that good condition bikes in that price range are probably unrestored and although they'd get you on the road sooner, you'd probably end up making a lot of the repairs you're already doing on your current project, so in the end you'll come out ahead.

That’s a very fair point. It’s easy to get enamored by a few select pictures in an online listing, but reality is usually very different…

Grussell wrote: I am bringing an abused 78 DT400 back to like. The prior owner had painted the plastic, first with primer and then green paint. The green paint came fairly good with paint stripper, but the primer was a bear. I had success using Acetone and 0000 steel wool, which I read in one of Makotosun's post.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll give that a try when I get around to repainting my fenders. Hopefully I’ll be that far along in a couple of weeks.

When I was troubleshooting the neutral light a couple of weeks ago I noticed how badly the bike was in need of a transmission oil change. That probably should have been one of the first things I did, but I have a tendency to get distracted by shiny things.

As I mentioned on my last post I made a manifold gasket from a sheet of fiber material which turned out to be a good reason to go ahead and remove the air box and inner fender.

Since I already had the rear arm loose it seemed like a good time to go ahead and install the new sprockets and chain. The front sprocket was definitely showing some wear, but the chain and rear one didn’t look too bad. I went ahead and swapped everything out and the old ones are going into my “emergency spares” kit.

I didn’t reinstall the rear wheel since I was waiting on new brake shoes which have since arrived and will get installed this coming weekend.

I’ve been skirting carburetor maintenance because the bike starts easily and has been running well, but seeing that it’s easily accessible with all the other components out now would be a good time to knock that out…
Attachments:

27 Mar 2020 16:24
Wax
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1977 DT250 #38
Here’s my video from last weekend when I swapped out the sprockets and chain.

I pulled the petcock off the fuel tank for cleaning and was pleasantly surprised at how clean the fuel filter was.

I’d thought about coating the tank as precautionary measure, but seeing how clean it looks I’m going to just add an in-line filter and move on.

Ran some pressurized air through the disassembled petcock while I was cleaning it and it should now work in both the ON and Reserve positions.

My tank has two fuel lines capped off on the bottom. I think these should be connected to one another as a pass though?

Tomorrow I’m installing new brakes and then it’s on to reassembly.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT

27 Mar 2020 18:21
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
1977 DT250 #39
Yes, that's a crossover line... you might be able to find a double-sealing quick disconnect to install in the line... Motion Pro and Tusk make them... makes it a whole lot easier to remove the tank... you don't have to drain it... make sure you get the "dual shut off" version.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart