facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Pulling the head again

22 Oct 2019 16:58
Elpho
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Pulling the head again #1
The RT2 project has been going on for about five years so I have forgotten disassembly. Now nearly back together. I thought I had bought new points and condenser but couldn’t find them and I was keen to press on, so I cleaned and timed the points then put the head on. Then I discovered the head has to be off to get a spanner on the decompressor to instal it. Then I found the little box with the points and condenser. If the head is coming off, I might as well pull the side cover and flywheel and replace the points and condenser. One step forward and two backward.

The surprising thing is that after five years disassembled to the last nut and bolt and a house move, the only missing item so far is the retaining clip for the speedo drive. Even that might turn up eventually.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Oct 2019 18:14
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Pulling the head again #2
Not sure if i said welcome--so Welcome it is. with the flywheel i can't stress enough how important it is to tighten it super tight, solidly tight, using a tool hooked into the flywheel. Every one of mine over the years has been stuffed by previous owners & damn it i got a written off crash job done about 900k's or miles back in the day & eventualy sold it to a mate [mate also from the yamaha shop where i worked just to makes things worse] & he decided pull the flywheel for some reason & same story, didn't tighten properly & bingo, key gone & taper damaged.

22 Oct 2019 18:16
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Pulling the head again #3

Can't stress enough about tightening, sorry to harp on. Cheers from NZ.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post Snglsmkr

22 Oct 2019 20:25
tlh0824
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Pulling the head again #4
What's the torque spec?

23 Oct 2019 06:59
liferbiker
Collector
Collector
More
Pulling the head again #5
Wow! I thought I was the only one that got a new clutch cable (kdi) too long! I made my spacer from an 8mm lever wheel adjuster, had to die grind a slot in the flat of an 8 x 1.25 nut for cable but it works fine, have 2 adjustments (well 3 if you add pushrod adjuster), old bikes, fun yah? seems there's always something to engineer w/stuff on hand to avoid returns or whatever! What did you make yours from? Looks as if a lathe may have been involved, thats the one thing I miss, next door (to my shop) had a couple of them I was able to use, made all kinds of stuff. A couple of different welders, lathe & a milling machine & you can fabricate a spacecraft!

23 Oct 2019 07:03 23 Oct 2019 07:04 by liferbiker.
liferbiker
Collector
Collector
More
Pulling the head again #6
7-7.5 KpM on flywheel nut

23 Oct 2019 07:07 23 Oct 2019 07:12 by liferbiker.
liferbiker
Collector
Collector
More
Pulling the head again #7
Did you add the chain roller? Like your "peg" spring, and is that a "bead" I c on the shifter? Kool! I nominate you in the "fix anything but a broken heart club" LOL

23 Oct 2019 09:53
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Pulling the head again #8

liferbiker wrote: Wow! I thought I was the only one that got a new clutch cable (kdi) too long! I made my spacer from an 8mm lever wheel adjuster, had to die grind a slot in the flat of an 8 x 1.25 nut for cable but it works fine, have 2 adjustments (well 3 if you add pushrod adjuster), old bikes, fun yah? seems there's always something to engineer w/stuff on hand to avoid returns or whatever! What did you make yours from? Looks as if a lathe may have been involved, thats the one thing I miss, next door (to my shop) had a couple of them I was able to use, made all kinds of stuff. A couple of different welders, lathe & a milling machine & you can fabricate a spacecraft!

Good spot!

A brand new repro cable was supplied with my RT2, but that was too long. I've got it stored away somewhere and ended up buying a period nos pattern part which fits fine.

Apparently the air cooled RD350 shares the same cable, but those, of course, are in black.

23 Oct 2019 21:06
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Pulling the head again #9

liferbiker wrote: Did you add the chain roller? Like your "peg" spring, and is that a "bead" I c on the shifter? Kool! I nominate you in the "fix anything but a broken heart club" LOL

Sorry, i don't mean to take up space on someones post--but just realised you're talking to me. Chain roller i added years ago because i have a long travel RM125 Swinging arm & RM or PE front forks [long story]. The gear lever because the splines on the shaft are stuffed i locked it in place by drilling longways so ended up with half the hole in the shaft & half in the lever, themn threaded it to 6mm & what you see is just a 6mm allen screw. Probably left the lever very slightly loose when tapping so when screw is in place i can tighten it right up on the clamp & be nice & tight on the screw.

Moderators: MakotosunDEETDevinDmanEnduronutVinnieyamadminJames Hart