facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100

20 Oct 2019 14:24 20 Oct 2019 14:42 by PinkTavo.
PinkTavo
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100 #1
Hey!

As I posted before, I previously owned a Trail 90. Now that I have switched over to a DT100, I had auxiliary fuel envy. Especially so, since the DT100 gets about 60mpg and the Honda over 100mpg. So, I did some internets searching and found what seemed to be the best fit. It is from Coleman for a CT100U mini-bike. It holds about 1/2 gallon and fitted well to what I had previously done for my rear turn signals. I ordered with the fuel cap and petcock...it was about $50 (including the $15 shipping). This is a lot better than getting a Trail 90 aux tank (about $75-100) and mounting brackets ($30-50). This gives me a 102 mile range, so I am close to the Honda with the stock tank. Whoo-hoo! All I had to do was drill 2 holes in the fender to mount....and I wasn't worried about that because this is no show bike.
The following user(s) Liked this Post Rick C., KennyV, mmartin353

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Oct 2019 22:50
pabdt
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100 #2
what do you get for fuel mileage on that bike? if you like metal work, you could widen your tank 1 or 2". Might not kill the side profile too too much.

74 DT 125 #2
74 DT 125 #1 Sold 1977
74 DT 360
05 CRF 450R
18 R1
02 Z06 N/A 648RWHP

21 Oct 2019 16:33
DaveHunter
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100 #3
Hi Pink,
Just asking / hopefully you don’t take offense / but did you consider just getting a rear rack and bungee cords holding on a plastic aux tank of some sort. Seams like it could make carrying extra gas an option instead of a permanently mounted tank

21 Oct 2019 19:16 21 Oct 2019 19:40 by PinkTavo.
PinkTavo
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100 #4
I am not sure of the MPG...as I am just getting the bike together. On-line I found a couple of posts that said around 60-62 MPG. I don't have the skills to make or modify a gas tank...so making it larger is not a possibility for me. However, for my next DT100 build (using a 1978 model, with 2500 miles, that I found for $300) I am making a strictly off-road bike (no title) and will use a larger tank I found that is for go-carts. It is 11W x 13L x 4.9 H...which makes it just over 2.5 gallons.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07GVMV1QW/ref=psdc_404763011_t2_B07MNB9YTK

I will mount in the same place...after I shorten the seat about 3-4 inches (sort of a Trials look). I am going to strip off the stock lights and replace with something smaller and modern, and I will also replace the fenders with plastic Trials type. Final adjustment, though I am just looking into this, is to put a larger rear sprocket on...so it has a lower top end, but can climb better. This would be like the early Trail 90's where you changed from road (small sprocket) to trail (large sprocket) by changing out the chain....except I would just have the large sprocket.

21 Oct 2019 19:38 21 Oct 2019 19:42 by PinkTavo.
PinkTavo
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100 #5
No offence taken. I am using this bike as a commuter and wanted something that was permanent and looked like it could be a stock install. The big advantage (over a tank that must be removed, a filler spout attached, and "manually" pouring into the main tank), is I can use it as a reserve (keeping the petcock closed till needed) or just open both petcocks and have continuous use of nearly 2 gallons.

I searched and searched for a original rear rack, and considered making one, but I will just use a small back-pack to carry stuff...and there is one that I could also strap on over top of the tank (either one).

I did a lot of thinking about this, but I did not consider (no offence) just bungie cording a tank down on a rack. It doesn't seem like it would be very secure....even for a bike that is primarily to be used on the road, I looked into the Rotopax, but they are a bit large and expensive. I thought about a 1 gallon plastic gas can mounted on a fabricated bracket in a similar location to the Trail 90 spare tank (see photo). It seemed un-wieldy and cheap looking. I thought about using the Trail 90 tank...expensive and hard to find all of the parts.

Hope that 'splains things. Thanks for your comment. I look forward to more. Pink
Attachments:

21 Oct 2019 21:25 21 Oct 2019 21:42 by Kosmo.
Kosmo
Open Class
Open Class
More
1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100 #6
Why not use the tabs on the frame that the fender/silencer mount to as your pick-up points for the tank mounts?

22 Oct 2019 00:24
liferbiker
Collector
Collector
More
1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100 #7
For your dirt only bike if your not using gauges they make an aux tank that mounts on the X bar (handlebars) & feeds directly into your cap vent. Seen 'em on alot of Maico's for trail riding. Or, do what I did for years in Baja, get an army (wide) belt & an antifreeze jug(or two), strap it to yourself, no holes to drill & there damn tough.
The following user(s) Liked this Post Kosmo

22 Oct 2019 01:08
liferbiker
Collector
Collector
More
1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100 #8
why not a desert tank? the one on my 70 DT holds like 31/2 gallons!

22 Oct 2019 16:45
PinkTavo
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100 #9
Thanks for your input. I like the Acerbis front mount tank, but it is a bit pricy at about $90. That is about 1/3 of what I paid for the bike...so while it is nice...I will likely consider cheaper alternatives.

22 Oct 2019 16:49
PinkTavo
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1/2 gal Aux Gas Tank for my DT100 #10
Hey. Thanks for the suggestion. I think you are talking about the Clarke tanks. I looked at these and didn't find one that would fit the DT100. But, I did see a post recently that showed one...so I think Clarke just hasn't updated their website. It was described as 2.5 gallons and it needed to be mounted without the rubber tank mount bushings. Sounds good, but most of their tanks are in the $200 range. If this bike would ever be worth more than $1000 (like if it was a 175 or 250) I might consider that.

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart