facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Daddy’s Little Nightmare :)

29 May 2020 22:50
Sully_Land
More
Topic Author
Daddy’s Little Nightmare :) #1
Hey everyone,

First off, thank you, I’ve been lurking in here for years, finally signed up.

I found a 74’ DT175 chained to a telephone pole with a for sale sign one day, and made the decision to sell my KLR650 and trade up! (I think it was about $500)

LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT.

Little did I know what I was getting myself into.

The bike ran, (poorly) and got worse and worse that first summer. She sat all winter, and then barely ran the following summer.

The next season, I hired a friend to redo the top end, and totally rip me off. He kept the bike for months, and when I got it back, the noise of the piston slapping almost made me cry.

NOW... I’m not genius, but I’ve learned a lot (from you guys, YouTube, and gracious shop guys) since then, and during quarantine, I decided to dive in and get her up to par.

I had the top end bored and honed, new piston and rings, new chain, new sprockets, seals, the works. I had previously installed new grips, bars, tires, kickstart lever, ignition switch, and seat, and man she’s looking good.

I polished the crankcase covers while waiting on the top end (drooling) sanded polished and painted the exhaust while waiting on the top end (drooling) and painted the top end and polished the fin edges before slapping it back on.

I think I can still tune the carb to get her running even better, but right now, she’s running well (we can talk about all that later)

Due to my schedule, the fact that my lights don’t work is a problem, because I want to ride at night. (You should see how frakensteined the harness is beneath the headlight)

Once upon a time, the neutral indicator light worked, high beams and low beams, turn signals and brake lights, so I know the harness is solid, it’s just the rats nest under the headlight that has me stumped. I’ve done a fair hit of electrical in my day, but I’m damn near stumped here. I haven’t busted out my crayons and paper yet to really help myself cross reference everything, but that’s my job for tomorrow.

Hopefully I can figure it out before I log back on, but I am prepared for defeat, it wouldn’t be the first time I couldn’t finish a job on this gal in one day. Ahhhhh. Humble pie and self education.

Would love to geek out with you guys, share pictures, experiences, etc, but this is the first forum I’ve ever joined.

Please let me know how to dive into this, a lot of the questions I have are not covered in the searching I’ve done here, so I’m excited to join the community.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 May 2020 23:01
Sully_Land
More
Topic Author
Daddy’s Little Nightmare :) #2
Ps... that photo is from BEFORE I started working on it this spring.

Another note, I also polished the carb while waiting on the top end to come back (SHIIIINY) and I had previously replaced the air filter.

What else...

I tightened up the clutch adjustment screw, maybe too tight, but I’ll be sorting that out once my headlight and it’s friends work.

What else.... hmmmm.

I’m on the lookout for a LH plastic panel, a front fender, speedometer cable and... I think that’s it! If anyone has leads on those let me know!

O! The front forks are trashed, and so is bikebandit.com -> waiting on fork seals etc for THREE WEEKS NOW! COME ON GUYS!

I took the luggage rack off while I’m throwing it around in the shop, might be down to sell or trade it, or keep it if anyone has a lead on the seat extension for passengers?

CHEERS! And stoked to be able to talk to you guys, I seriously have been so thankful that this forum is here, I’ve learned a lot from everyone.

30 May 2020 03:16
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
Daddy’s Little Nightmare :) #3
First, Welcome! To the site!
Second, very nice looking bike - you are already way ahead of several of mine!
Third - now that you’ve signed up, check in the tech library up top - lots of manuals, articles and good information that may be of assistance.

Feel free to share lots of photos. It’s especially helpful when asking questions.

Mako

IF it isn't one thing, it's another.

30 May 2020 08:04 30 May 2020 08:10 by darinm.
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
Daddy’s Little Nightmare :) #4
The only seat extension I know of bolts onto the rack and should be pretty easy to find on eBay and are not particularly expensive. Not sure but they probably used the same one for all the early 70s models.

Edit; at least when I looked two months ago they were selling for around $30, now only finding one at $200, go figure. Worse case if you really want one I passed a beat up one along with a ct3 I sold to an acquaintance and I doubt he is using it...

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS 185 Sierra
2016 Yamaha WR250R

30 May 2020 12:57
Sully_Land
More
Topic Author
Daddy’s Little Nightmare :) #5
Thanks! I've been putting work into this bike for years. So many hours, and SOOOO close to having EVERYTHING operable, and at a b+ visual quality as well. Looking forward to this evenings electrical session.

30 May 2020 13:06
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Daddy’s Little Nightmare :) #6

Sully_Land wrote:
I took the luggage rack off while I’m throwing it around in the shop, might be down to sell or trade it, or keep it if anyone has a lead on the seat extension for passengers?

Very left field and the longest of long shots, but I have a feeling that the European models might have had a longer seat. Might be worth investigating and looking on ebay.com, as opposed to the US version (of ebay).
The following user(s) Liked this Post Rick C.

01 Jun 2020 08:45
TDHoward
More
Daddy’s Little Nightmare :) #7
Nice looking bike!
I just got one of those! Not nearly as nice as yours though.
If you don't mind me asking, Where did you get the new Piston and ring set?

I've made a futile effort via google, and everything comes up NLA. Is there an aftermarket source, just hope to find an NOS set?

Can you put me on the right track?
Thank you.

01 Jun 2020 09:46
Sully_Land
More
Topic Author
Daddy’s Little Nightmare :) #8
Hey there! I’m no expert but here’s my experience. And thanks for the compliment. The bike was garbage when I got it, I’ve gone down to the frame with sand paper and paint, really proud of how it’s looking.

Upon seeing the condition of the piston and cylinder, I realized I needed a new one and a bore and hone on the cylinder.

I ordered a WISECO piston... (comes with new rings and wrist pin) the numbers on the top of your current piston can be cross referenced against theirs to find out what size you’ve got in there, and what the next size up is.

Before ordering, I set up an appointment with my local machine shop, LMR in Salt Lake City, and they double checked my research, and confirmed, and once I received the piston, I brought everhthing to them and they bored and honed, and then I took it home and did the install.
The following user(s) Liked this Post darinm

01 Jun 2020 14:49
Grussell
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Daddy’s Little Nightmare :) #9
My local Yamaha dealer ordered a Wiseco piston kit for my 78 DT400 and even referred me to a great motorcycle machine. The machine shop had me bring him the cylinder for him to measure before I orderded the piston, which saved me headaches. The current was standard and he had to go 3rd over due the wear.

1978 DT400 (in progress)
1975 DT250
1976 YZ125C (in progress)
1976 YZ125X (in progress)
1976 YZ100C (in progress)
2018 YZ250FX (my race bike)
2010 Triumph America (my cruiser)

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart