facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Need help with my 1971 ct1c

22 Mar 2020 17:53 22 Mar 2020 18:00 by Enduronut.
Blukas
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Need help with my 1971 ct1c #1
So i got this bike for 400 dollars a couple of months ago, so far I got it running, only having it run away on me once due to the float set wrong. It came with the original title from 1971 so i think i got a good deal. I am currently semi restoring it so i can use it on the road again. All the hoses and lines on it are rotted. out, so im replacing them, but i do not know where this one on the carb goes. The first photo of the bike is what it looks like currently, and the second is when i bought it. Does anyone know where to get a good, not rotted out exhaust for cheap, im thinking of taking one out of a different model and making it fit, cause the inside of mine is completely destroyed. Thanks

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post Rick C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Mar 2020 18:06
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Need help with my 1971 ct1c #2
That small hose fitting is simply a breather up into the bowl--call it an overflow if things go wrong. But any hose you hook on there just hangs down the back of the motor, not all the way to the ground but say half way down. One important thing is now you have the bowl off there's a very small Oring where the bowl meets up to the needle jet & seals it into the bottom so the side mounted main jet feed into the needle jet as it should without getting excess fuel down past the Oring. Can find it on Partzilla item No7
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...1970/ct1b/carburetor
Any exhaust from an AT1/CT1 up to a AT/CT3 will work but don't like your chances of finding a good one but good luck.
The following user(s) Liked this Post Rick C.

22 Mar 2020 18:45
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
Need help with my 1971 ct1c #3
That was a steal at $400, I bet you'll have her on the road in no time!

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS 185 Sierra
2006 Yamaha XT225

22 Mar 2020 19:27
mike8162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Need help with my 1971 ct1c #4
Nice find there, and a great price as well. Lots of smart folks on this site to help.
Cheers

23 Mar 2020 08:35
Blukas
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Need help with my 1971 ct1c #5
I have a o ring which i belive is going to work currently on that jet, the original ring was damaged, also, does anyone have a gasket on their slide? Cause i originally had one but in all of the diagrams ive seen theres no gasket between the top of the slide and the body of the carb. Im gonna start getting the frame ready for the motor, im going to replace every gasket on the top end, just to make sure i have 0 air leaks.

23 Mar 2020 09:43
Blukas
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Need help with my 1971 ct1c #6
And id like to add that when my bike worked, i could only run it on the air screw fully tightened, if i didnt my engine would stay revving. Do you think my mikuni has gone bad? Im thinking of just putting a chinese carb on and going with that.

23 Mar 2020 10:35
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
Need help with my 1971 ct1c #7

Blukas wrote: I have a o ring which i belive is going to work currently on that jet, the original ring was damaged, also, does anyone have a gasket on their slide? Cause i originally had one but in all of the diagrams ive seen theres no gasket between the top of the slide and the body of the carb. Im gonna start getting the frame ready for the motor, im going to replace every gasket on the top end, just to make sure i have 0 air leaks.

You should not just use any generic o ring, as they disinigrate with gas and especially with modern ethanol.

Contact DEET who has some he sourced which are correctly sized and made of an ethanol resistant material. Those little o rings can cause no end to frustration?

IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
The following user(s) Liked this Post Snglsmkr

23 Mar 2020 11:07
Blukas
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Need help with my 1971 ct1c #8
The o ring came from a carb kit, but for some reason half the things in the carb kit wouldnt fit, so i belive the o ring is not the correct one. Im going to start the motor today eitherway.

23 Mar 2020 14:42
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Need help with my 1971 ct1c #9
"runaway" is classic air leak symptom as is needing to close the air screw. My guess is you have a bad crank seal

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

23 Mar 2020 15:46
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Need help with my 1971 ct1c #10
Is the slide shutting fully, like can you flick the throttle & it clicks right down shut if you back the slide stop screw out. Often slide sticking on those old bolt up carbs can be attributed to the bolt up flange warping through overtightening for years. Also warpage there can cause an airleak at that point which in turn causes lean idling hence mixture air screw closed down in your case. Orings too fat in that flange can warp them too as Oring has to go somewhere & can't if too fat. Anyway--all a wild guess on my behalf.
The following user(s) Liked this Post KennyV

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart