facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200)

24 Nov 2020 13:17 24 Nov 2020 13:17 by assquatch20.
assquatch20
More
Topic Author
Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200) #1
That's the question. I'm sure you guys might be a bit biased but I'll ask anyhow. The end goal is a fun supermoto that can be a garage queen and occasional corner carver. Something that would hold its value would be nice. Bigger might be better but also might be more prone to breaking in this case. There's also the issue of getting them street legal but not much is required around here and I think I could do the Vermont thing for a title.

These are two somewhat local options that both seem to be in decent shape. I've looked through a lot of listings within a few hundred miles and these are the two I'm considering right now.

The IT is set up like a YZ right now with a 510cc bore, but the seller says it comes with all the IT stuff, including a stock bore cylinder, head and carb. It has these weird brackets running along the swingarm that I don't understand but looks to be an alright machine. No cush hub and there were crankcase/kicker shaft issues that could be remedied with later parts.

The KDX is decades newer (2006) and also in good shape, I'm told. I'd imagine there's still no cush hub on a KDX but the power output and strength of the internals probably makes that apples to oranges. I'm not as familiar with these bikes so I'm unsure of weaknesses.

The bikes are priced the same. I feel as though either bike would resell okay but the IT might do better. One is much newer, but its engine is also about 40% the size of the other. Both bikes should be capable of taking a USD fork front end as well but I don't think I've seen it done on the old Yamahas like that. Whether or not I would attempt a USD fork swap would depend on a few things anyhow. 17" wheels and spokes and such should set me back about the same with either bike.

What would y'all do?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Nov 2020 15:46
Older than Dirt
More
Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200) #2
I would want higher horsepower, for a supermotard asphalt bike, than a 200. I gave an IT465 to a friend. It might have ended up in his scrap heap.
The following user(s) Liked this Post assquatch20

29 Nov 2020 19:31
YZBill
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200) #3
I won a B200 class championship on a KDX200. Great bike for tight woods. Going through a field or down a road WFO and it was a bit twitchy. Mine had a plate, but was far from road legal. If it were me I’d go for the IT since you won’t have to ring out the engine going down the road.

30 Nov 2020 05:37 30 Nov 2020 05:39 by vfrf2.
vfrf2
More
Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200) #4
A few years ago, I purchased a 2002 KDX 200 with a title and I registered for "street riding" between trails. It wasn't much of a street bike at all. Like YZBill said, it will top out pretty quickly on the road. I think I was topped out at about 45 or 50. KDX 200s are great bikes, I've had 5 over the years.

30 Nov 2020 09:26 30 Nov 2020 09:29 by shyted.
shyted
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200) #5
Save yourself a load of aggro and buy a KTM Duke 390. A very capable motorcycle
My friend has just got rid of his MT 09 . A customer came in his shop and asked if he knew anyone who wanted to buy his.
He bought it.
It's got an Akrapovic pipe on and loads of other stuff . He's loves it .
He paid £2000.00 for it and it's 2016 with 12 K on the clock. That's give or take $2340.
It flies.
Bet that's cheaper in the states.

30 Nov 2020 09:30
assquatch20
More
Topic Author
Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200) #6
Given the overwhelming enthusiasm I think I'll just stick to my TW200 for now, maybe upgrade it a bit.

30 Nov 2020 14:59 30 Nov 2020 14:59 by YZBill.
YZBill
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200) #7

vfrf2 wrote: I think I was topped out at about 45 or 50. KDX 200s are great bikes, I've had 5 over the years.

I had mine tapped out at 70, according to my ICO Enduro Computer. The motor was far from stock though.

This message has an attachment image.

02 Dec 2020 00:23
Delcowizzid
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200) #8
A stock kdx will go 80mph if the Timing is retarded a touch my mates allways doing 80mph beach pulls on his comes past the 78 dt250 tapped out at 60 like it's standing still haha. I'm currently rebuilding an 89 as an upgrade for the dt so I don't treat it so badly off road lol has kx usd forks rear shock 19" rear and fender. Easy bike for bolt on upside down conversion if you buy the right parts or it requires a bit of machining if you can't find the easy bolt on bits

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, assquatch20

02 Dec 2020 16:07
Pillsbury
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200) #9
Of those two, i would go for the IT for the hp. My $.02 is a more modern 2 or 4 stroke might work better for you.

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Street tracker
1968 Honda CL90
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1947 Mustang
1974 Suzuki TC185

02 Dec 2020 18:13
assquatch20
More
Topic Author
Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200) #10

Pillsbury wrote: Of those two, i would go for the IT for the hp. My $.02 is a more modern 2 or 4 stroke might work better for you.

I think the only 2 strokes that could be better for power are the 500's but they're hard to find and expensive. A modern 250 two stroke would still be fun but might not be as great in a straight, where I would think a two stroke makes up time. The lack of engine braking and maybe brakes in general make the straights where the smoker needs to excel. Liquid cooling is another tradeoff when you're looking at modern stuff. I used to have a monoshock DT400 that would've been okay at this sort of thing with some work, but not the fastest option. Those later DT230 bikes that didn't make it into the states would be perfect candidates for supermoto toys, but also not the fastest option.

Still though, I think I'll put the idea off for now. A big two stroke is only gonna get more rare and pricy I think but there are those TPI 300's now. Since I'm ranting about it, I'd like to see a FI rotary valve 2 stroke as well. I know of a fella online that's done that and there was the Aprilia DiTech that was built that way, I think. Someday I hope to have a 2 stroke on the road again.

In the meantime I can maybe put that cash towards my TW200. I'm hoping to upgrade the suspension and replace the rear wheel with a trailer wheel and ATV tire, among other things.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart
G-Y97Q3KKWBV