facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Picture Attachment problem (09 Jul 2022)

Due to the extraordinary growth of the membership and resources, we are once again bumping up against hosting limits. I am working on a fix. In the meantime, the forum should function, but you won’t be able to attach images. Working as fast s we can to fix. Thanks for your patience. - Makotosun

Tire sizes & Where to find...

• DUFFMAN_XIII
  • DUFFMAN_XIII's Avatar Topic Author

Tire sizes & Where to find... was created by DUFFMAN_XIII

Forgive me if I missed it, I did a quick search in the search bar for tire related issues with the DT100 and with no luck finding what I needed. So here is my question; Where do I find the original size of tires for my '78 DT100E? I have scoured the web but to no avail. Do I need to pursue a new set of rims to accommodate a more readily available tire size? Thanks in advance you fine people!

Back story, I have known these tires needed replaced as they were original, but instead just put new tubes in thinking it would suffice... I was wrong. I had a blowout in 5th gear at about 50mph, that was an exciting thrill ride! (I rode it out like a champ, though it was VERY squirrelly. Please remember to check yo dang tire pressures before your trips peeps.
1978 Yamaha DT100E
-DUFFMAN_XIII
30 Sep 2022 01:35 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Tire sizes & Where to find...

The manual in the tech library will have what you need… Even a paper back copy of Clymers ( I have in the garage as I’m tinkering) also will have the info.
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: DUFFMAN_XIII
30 Sep 2022 04:08 #2

• AirborneSilva
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Tire sizes & Where to find...

Here's your tire sizes, Amazon has Shinko tires that fit

DT 100 specs
1976 DT400C
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
30 Sep 2022 04:14 #3

Replied by Tom P on topic Tire sizes & Where to find...

I bought Shinko  241's from Revzilla, and they seemed to have the best prices. They are very similar to the original dual sport tires.

www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-sr-24...fD_BwE&sku_id=817410

When I was first fixing up my CT-1 it had the original tires, and I only rode it around inside neighborhood at around 30 mph. When I put the new tires on, I found foot long sidewall crack on the old front tire. It wasn't noticeable until I removed the tire.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2022 06:53 by Tom P.
30 Sep 2022 06:51 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic Tire sizes & Where to find...

Believe it or not, original front 2.50-18 tire is still available from Yamaha.

The rear 3.00-16 tire isn't available from Yamaha anymore.

As was said, both sizes are available in the Shinko 241 from various stores which is probably similar to stock tread pattern.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
30 Sep 2022 06:53 #5

Replied by Le7316 on topic Tire sizes & Where to find...

Do you guys always replace the tires at home ? or bring it to the tire shop ? I never replace motorcycle tires at home so i thought i would ask .
30 Sep 2022 07:43 #6

I replaced mine at home. Just need some good tire irons, a brush with some detergent to lube it, and a lot of patience. If you've ever replaced a bicycle tire it's the same technique, but needs a little more muscle. Be very careful not to pinch the tube.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pedalcrazy, Le7316, DUFFMAN_XIII
30 Sep 2022 08:03 #7

Replied by Le7316 on topic Tire sizes & Where to find...

Can an Automotive Tire shop like Hibdon or Discount tires replace our Enduro tires ? or it has to be Motorcycle Tire Shop ?
30 Sep 2022 08:23 #8

I'm pretty sure places like Discount Tire and Big O do not do motorcycle tires. I'd just call around to your local motorcycle shops and get prices. Probably not too expensive if you take the wheels in unmounted.

If you do them yourself, look up videos on how to use large zip ties to help get the old ones off, and the new ones on. It actually does work. I got mine mounted just working on my garage floor with some 9 inch tire irons, dish soap brush, and zip ties. Put something like thick cardboard or a rug on the floor to protect the rim.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Le7316, DUFFMAN_XIII
30 Sep 2022 08:46 #9

Replied by Andy_C on topic Tire sizes & Where to find...

I usually manage to fit tubed tyres myself without pinching the tube - this video shows the technique.
It is not me in the video, but it does illustrate very well how to do it.
Yam DT 400 C, Kawasaki H2B, Royal Enfield Himalayan, Triumph 865 Speedmaster - many, many more in my lifetime.....
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P, Le7316, DUFFMAN_XIII
30 Sep 2022 08:55 #10

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart