facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

1978 DT400E Cold Start

16 Feb 2020 15:44 16 Feb 2020 15:46 by Tom S..
Tom S.
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
1978 DT400E Cold Start #1
How nice to have something work on the first try!

I've owned this bike for five years and have never tried to start it until this morning. Before my purchase it sat in a guy's garage for years. The license tags expired in '92. It still has a Goodyear knobby front tire. How long has it been since they made those?

I cleaned the carb and replaced some rubber fuel system parts and pulled a mouse nest out of the air box. Dropped in a new battery and air filter element and bled the Autolube® pump, but still started it on 32:1 premix to be safe. That made it a bit smokey, but it cleared right up when I put in straight gas before touring the neighborhood on it later.

The odo shows 7,658 miles. It will be offered for sale soon.

Cold Start Vid Here

The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC, Badger52

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Feb 2020 17:01
FrankC
Solution Contributor
Solution Contributor
More
1978 DT400E Cold Start #2
I love it when a plan happens. After bleeding the pump, I don't know if you did, make sure to prime the pump always. Pull up on the pump cable or wheel all the way while running at 2000 RPM for 2 to 3 minutes.
The following user(s) Liked this Post Tom S.

16 Feb 2020 19:27
Bobv07662
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
1978 DT400E Cold Start #3
The DT400E doesn't have a wheel on the oil pump. Just pull the cable and count the pump strokes and measure the corresponding oil output volume. It's in the service manual in the tech library.

16 Feb 2020 21:06 16 Feb 2020 21:08 by Tom S..
Tom S.
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
1978 DT400E Cold Start #4

Bobv07662 wrote: The DT400E doesn't have a wheel on the oil pump. Just pull the cable and count the pump strokes and measure the corresponding oil output volume. It's in the service manual in the tech library.

Thanks for the tips. I carefully reviewed the manual awhile ago. It's helpful guys like you and FrankC, and resources like the manuals that make this such a great site. I was surprised when I saw that the oil pump on this bike does not have the plastic wheel that is present on my other Yamahas. Pretty simple process on this machine to make sure all is OK because nothing was disconnected upstream of the pump and the system was not run dry. The little bit of premix that I put in was just for confidence. I drained it out and put in straight gas right after I shot the startup vid. It runs fine and emits just the slightest amount of smoke to confirm all is working. This bike has sat front and center in my shop for five years, so I've had lots of time to admire it and to think about firing it up while I've tended to other projects. :)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post Makotosun, Badger52

17 Feb 2020 11:25
FrankC
Solution Contributor
Solution Contributor
More
1978 DT400E Cold Start #5
By wheel I meant the pump pulley that the cable turns.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart