facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Back In The Fold

26 Jan 2020 06:54
SlowPoke
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Back In The Fold #1
It has been a while since posting in this forum. The main reason is I didn’t have a bike. All of my projects had been sold including my two vintage motocross bikes. I ran my 2018 Vstrom 1000XT all last summer and it was fun having a solid, reliable long distance tourer that isn’t afraid of gravel. In the fall I got the small displacement dirt bike bug again and purchased a clean 2009 XT250 (last year of the carbureted model) and basically threw my wallet at it. It now has just about every mod on it that is available , including a full on Cogent Designs modern cartridge suspension. I am really excited to run it this year. This spring my wife and I are renting a house for the month of June on the beach near Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island. The plan with the XT was to throw it on my hitch rack and use it as a second vehicle/low speed explorer for the month. So my garage is boring. I sit idle after practicing guitar or go out into the man cave and stare at bikes in perfect shape, waiting to be pulled out as soon as the snow melts in the spring. The restoration fever has returned (much to the bemusement of my darling, long suffering wife).
To that end, I recently purchased a fairly solid 1977 dt250 monoshock. Something to fritter away some time with. I have to smile to myself because I owned this bike once before. I foolishly sold it off thinking I didn’t have the energy to tackle it at the time. The new owner took it up north, put in a new carb, studded the tires and took it out in the winter snow last year. Lately it has developed a high rpm miss and he wanted to sell it as he had too many projects on the go and it was just sitting there, forgotten. Fortunately I already know this bike so it will be a bit better start than other projects I “invested” in! It arrives today or tomorrow. So, I’m back in the fold. Time to dig a little deeper into the dark, dusty recesses of my wallet and have some winter fun. Here are a few of the sellers pics from his ad.

2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000XT
2014 Yamaha Bolt
2009 Yamaha XT250
1977 Yamaha DT250
Hammond Organ
Fender Bass

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post Makotosun, Badger52, crash62, KennyV, Wax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jan 2020 07:19
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Back In The Fold #2
That looks fully restored compared to some of mine!

Welcome! back!

26 Jan 2020 08:33
mdscott
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Back In The Fold #3
Welcome back, I too had a Vstrom for years, fantastic all around bike. The Yamaha looks like it has studded snow tires. B)

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
'01 KDX220
'68 YG5T 80 Trailmaster
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

26 Jan 2020 09:04
SlowPoke
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Back In The Fold #4
Yes, they are studs. The back is legit and the front has carpenters screws in it. The seller is including a new set of knobs still wrapped in plastic thank God. If I recall correctly it’s a fairly complete bike. I have already been on line looking at parts. It will need the top plastic chain gaurd and the lower metal guide for sure. Front signals are available on ebay so those will be done. A mirror, tires, and some serious maintenance and she should be good to go. I’m hoping the high rpm miss is carb related rather than ignition. I absolutely HATE electrical work. I am thinking of basically leaving it’s appearance for Now. My hope is that FINALLY I will make it down to Endurofest this fall. I would rather have a good reliable, solid bike to drop than a garage queen to worry over.

2014 Yamaha Bolt
2009 Yamaha XT250
1977 Yamaha DT250
Hammond Organ
Fender Bass
The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC, mdscott

02 Feb 2020 12:46
SlowPoke
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Back In The Fold #5
So here is the first update.
I have had a good long fiddle with this bike and the sheer lunacy of the PO has been impressed on me. Lets start from the back of the bike and move forward shall we?
The first thing I don’t understand:
1. Removing the silencer insert. The result is that the deflector has been removed allowing the hot exhaust gasses to fall directly on the plastic fender with predictable results. A burned black, melted fender. The fix: Indifferently apply some stick on “shielding” material over the already melted plastic for a job well done. I can only assume the motivation. If I remove this piece my bike will magically gain 40 hp and smoke a modern KTM 300 in a drag race. Or, if I remove this piece my bike will sound louder therefore it will be much cooler when I ride with my friends. Thus, I will be cooler. Or.....heaven knows what.
2. “I want to ride in the snow”. I get wanting to stud up a bike for winter use. Not my thing but I get it. Solution: Buy the BIGGEST studded rear tire I can’t possibly stuff into the back of this thing. That will make it a badass snow bike. Result: The tire is so big the studs are grinding away at the chain guide and the chain guard. Ooops. Solution: just rip all of that useless stuff off and throw it into the back fourty where I’ll never be able to find it again. Who needs that stuff anyway. Certainly not the next owner when I sell it on. It really just makes the bike look whimpy. Removing it makes my bike look more like a badass motocross racer and the decrease in weight can be felt when I race my friends KTM 300. And while I’m at it, who needs to invest in a proper studded snow for the front. I’ve got this. So the PO finds the longest carpenters screws he can and screws them through the back of the tire so they are sticking out like porcupine quills.
This is where a bunch of fails converge into the perfect storm.
1. Buy and install a perfectly good front brake cable.
2. Don’t bother adjusting it so the brakes don’t actually work.........at all.
3. Leave off the cable guide on the fork slider.
4. Remove the cable guide for the speedo cable
5. Take your badass snow bike for a rip.
You remember those evil carpenters screws? Well they stick ou the side of the tire like a medieval torture device and immediatly start grinding away at the inside of the soft aluminum fork slider. (What IS that sound?) Then they reach out and grab that new front brake cable and the speedo cable Like a pitbull in a dog fight and tear them to shreds. Solution: take a grinder and grind off all the outside screws on one side of the tire and leave the rest for dead. I mean, what professional racer actually USES his front brake anyway! Really, the rear rake on this bike is stuck on most of the time because I never seviced it so there is a natural solution that is a direct result of my neglect. BONUS!
6. My bike runs rough: solution. Remove and take apart the carb. Let all of the carb internals roll around the bottom of my shed till I LOSE THE FLOATS. Buy a new carb. Hey, this internet provider sells a carb that they claim is a direct match for a dt250 so it’s a go. Problem. This carb is for another dt250 and there is NO OIL INJECTION FITTING ON IT. damn! Well the best thing to do is just put it on anyway. What can go wrong? What does this little rubber tube leaving the motor and oozing oil do? Don’t worry about details. Just leave it there and use premix. It will stop oozing oil when this tank full of oil runs dry. Job done!

So these and an assortment of other things have been uncovered. It’s not the worst bike I have bought but one thing made a big impression on me. So many of these “restoration projects” we purchase suffer from two major things. Lack of mindfullness and neglect. Neglect is perpetrated by those who are users in life. They look at life like a shelf in the supermarket. It’s the idea that life owes them something. Things are consumable. They are there to be used and thoughtlessly used up then cast aside in the process of posessing the next thing that catches their fancy. Lack of mindfullness is a subtler thing but has equally devistating results. Modifying and servicing a thing takes thought and consideration. There are always consequences to any action. Nothing really just takes care of itself. The reason most of these bikes fall into our hands are because they were neglected while they were used by their owners and the casually cast aside when they became out of fashion or broken.
So should we curse these previous owners or should we celebrate them? On one hand they needlessly trash a whole plethora of very cool motorcycles and on the other hand they provide a seemingly never ending source of fodder for our hobby!
More to come!

2014 Yamaha Bolt
2009 Yamaha XT250
1977 Yamaha DT250
Hammond Organ
Fender Bass
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, FrankC, crash62, HouseofEnduro

02 Feb 2020 13:54
SlowPoke
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Back In The Fold #6
Here are some pics.

I created a list of things to do/buy to bring this Bike back to a mechanically sound reliable trail bike that has up to date mechanical service. If anyone has any suggestions for other things to look out for please suggest them. Knowlege is power. All appearance restorations will have to come at a later date.

Blue plastic front and rear fenders.
Silencer insert
Front and rear tires/tubes
Front and rear brake shoes and service of components/ cables. (I think the front brake cable might be salvageable).
Front and rear sprockets and chain
Sprocket and shifter oil seals
Salvage carb and a rebuild kit
Seat cover
Headlight bezel bolts
Kill switch (temorary)
Fork seals
Aluminum lower fork slider
Fork boots
Speedo cable
Brake cable guide
Speedo cable guide
Front signal lights
Front brake perch and OEM mirror

That seems to be it. The motoer is free and feels “right” when I kick it over. Who knows though. I might take off the head and have a look.
If anyone out there has any of these above listed parts they are willing to part with please pm me and we can go from there. Especially the blue plastic and the carb which seem hard to source.
Bruce

2014 Yamaha Bolt
2009 Yamaha XT250
1977 Yamaha DT250
Hammond Organ
Fender Bass

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post KJB

02 Feb 2020 15:17
FrankC
Solution Contributor
Solution Contributor
More
Back In The Fold #7
I always liked the Balboa blue color of 77 dt250.

10 Feb 2020 16:40
SlowPoke
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Back In The Fold #8
So todayI placed the final order on ebay for parts to complete the throttle assembly. Parts purchased are as follows:
Used throttle grip housing with a working kill switch. The paint is in better shape on my bikes so I might just switch the switches and bin the leftovers.
A complete new throttle/oil cable with the plastic Y junction tube
A complete used carb to replace the early dt carb the PO installed in its piace.
This was a VERY expensive process to go through up here in Canada. Shipping and imort duties are brutal.

Still, I can’t wait for all the bits to arrive. I’ll post all of the finacials so far in my next post.

2014 Yamaha Bolt
2009 Yamaha XT250
1977 Yamaha DT250
Hammond Organ
Fender Bass

11 Feb 2020 00:27
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Back In The Fold #9
Don't forget that there's likely to be a market for the parts that you don't need (eg early DT carb) and so you should be able to reclaim at least some of your expenditure there.

11 Feb 2020 07:00
mdscott
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Back In The Fold #10
SlowPoke, you play a Hammond Organ. I was a Lee Michaels fan back in the day. I say him perform and the Shrine auditorium in LA. By then he was loosing his hearing, it was just him on piano and a drummer. Great concert but the crowed was pissed and tore up the seats, almost a riot.

beefheart.xyz/gigs/gigs70/0926lashr.html

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
'01 KDX220
'68 YG5T 80 Trailmaster
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart