facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Por-15 patch weld - any reviews?

18 Oct 2020 00:53
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Por-15 patch weld - any reviews? #1
As per the title.

A couple of my tanks have small seam leaks. I'm not inclined to go for a full tank lining (I'm probably not competent enough to do it properly myself! :EEEK ) and so wondered if any of you folks had used this and, if you had, were you happy with the results? See link below.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Oct 2020 08:00 18 Oct 2020 08:04 by mdscott.
mdscott
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Por-15 patch weld - any reviews? #2
Good morning,
Don’t be afraid to do a liner, I’ve always used Caswell Epoxy tank liner and it’s easy.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'06 GL1800
'98 KDX220
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'01 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR80R
The following user(s) Liked this Post Rick C., JimA, Jack

18 Oct 2020 14:41 18 Oct 2020 14:44 by FrankC.
FrankC
Solution Contributor
Solution Contributor
More
Por-15 patch weld - any reviews? #3
I would treat it like regular por 15 tank sealer. I believe it is same ingredients. Phosphoric acid treatment in the tank to improve bonding. I actually used it in my ports to improve flow and still there without delamination. It is very durable if you have good prep. Holds up to alcohol based fuels. I know I tested it submerging it in ethanol/alcohol spiked fuel for a month before I applied it in my ports. It's like cake frosting to work with but once it cures it is rock solid but can flex with temperature changes. It's Good for 350 degrees continuous.
The following user(s) Liked this Post Von

18 Oct 2020 23:12
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Por-15 patch weld - any reviews? #4
Thanks Frank.

26 Oct 2020 06:04
nhsteve
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Por-15 patch weld - any reviews? #5
If you do decide to go with a tank liner, for what it's worth, my strong suggestion after having one I installed fail (which was, unfortunately, a Caswell kit, mixed per instructions), as well as dealing with other failed (previously applied by someone else) Kreem liners, is that you absolutely, positively must clean the inside thoroughly. Even after you think it is really, really, really clean, it probably isn't (so do it one more time).

You need to get really anal about how clean (and dry) the inside is before adding the liner, is what I'm saying. FWIW.

26 Oct 2020 06:39
shyted
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Por-15 patch weld - any reviews? #6
Hi Al.
I have used both tank liner kits from POR and Casswell.
I haven't used the putty you have there.
On the HT1 i used the POR kit and it was easier and less of a weight than the Casswell one.
Do you know anyone who can braise ?

26 Oct 2020 09:47
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Por-15 patch weld - any reviews? #7

shyted wrote: Hi Al.
I have used both tank liner kits from POR and Casswell.
I haven't used the putty you have there.
On the HT1 i used the POR kit and it was easier and less of a weight than the Casswell one.
Do you know anyone who can braise ?

Thanks Dave.

I have gone ahead and bought the repair kit shown in my initial post and I'll post again with results once I've done it.

We are lucky enough to have a blacksmith/forge in the village and so they could probably braise if necessary.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart