facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Yamaha GT80 76' double seat foam replacement

16 Sep 2020 14:14 16 Sep 2020 14:17 by Hoody.
Hoody
More
Topic Author
Yamaha GT80 76' double seat foam replacement #1
Hi everyone.

First time poster, joined the group to learn and hopefully contribute to help others at some point. Love my Yamaha Vinduros!

I've come into possession of a fairly neat 1976 Yamaha GT80, Australian released model, with the double seat. I'm looking to 'tidy' it up and only restore the parts needing a lot of love. Only 3700km on the dial, and the numbers are lining up pretty good - maybe genuine travel.

Currently making the bike road worthy again for Australian roads (indicators, mirrors, etc).

All seems pretty good for its age and original, however the seat cover at some stage has been replaced.

I have a replacement replica cover for the double seat, but am beating my head against a wall trying to locate a foam to suit.

Plenty of single seat foams out there, but not the double.

Would anyone know of another model which shared the same double seat, which might help with the hunt for a replica foam?

The double seat is approximately 600mm long (23.62 inches).

Appreciate any assistance.
Rhys

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Sep 2020 23:52 16 Sep 2020 23:53 by Gr8uncleal.
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Yamaha GT80 76' double seat foam replacement #2
Welcome! from the UK. Jeez, we threw away the cricket yesterday! :Ugh

Anyway, a good start for finding out what other models used that seat would be to find a parts manual for your model and search under the number for the seat and see what comes up. Also search the European fleabay sites (.de, .fr, .it etc). Ordinarily I'd suggest CMSNL or Partzilla, but they don't carry parts lists for the early Aussie models.

What you might think about doing is contacting KDI (see link on the right) about the type of foam that they use on their repro stuff - they might even sell you some. Once you have some suitable foam, you could see if there is an upholsterer in your area who can trim the new foam to match the shape of the seat, using the old foam as a guide. Thinking about it, I guess you could find an upholsterer before ordering any foam.

Good luck.
The following user(s) Liked this Post yamahahaha

21 Sep 2020 05:33
Hoody
More
Topic Author
Yamaha GT80 76' double seat foam replacement #3
Maybe next time eh?

Thanks for the tip mate, that's a great starting place finding the part number and (fingers crossed) sourcing one used on other models.

Found a local upholster who was telling me to source a repo, otherwise I would be spending a tad on forming up one from scratch.

Let you know how I go.

25 Sep 2020 15:29 25 Sep 2020 15:32 by Hoody. Reason: Clarity
Hoody
More
Topic Author
Yamaha GT80 76' double seat foam replacement #4
I have found a parts manual and obtained the part number for the double seat assembly and cover.

Assembly:
376-24730-00

Cover:
376-24731-00

I've tried Googling these with no love... looks like Yamaha used similar part numbers, but changed the first 3 digits based on the bike/model.

Anything else I could do?

Would anyone be able to assist?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

26 Sep 2020 01:14
Swoop56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Yamaha GT80 76' double seat foam replacement #5
The Yamaha dealer Network in Australia and New Zealand run a Redundant Parts List .
This is where Dealers list their NOS stock that they'd like to shift . Great for finding
some NLA parts . A good Yamaha Dealership should be able to check whether
either of those parts are lurking on some Dealers shelves .
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, Gr8uncleal, Hoody

26 Sep 2020 08:24
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Yamaha GT80 76' double seat foam replacement #6

Swoop56 wrote: The Yamaha dealer Network in Australia and New Zealand run a Redundant Parts List .
This is where Dealers list their NOS stock that they'd like to shift . Great for finding
some NLA parts . A good Yamaha Dealership should be able to check whether
either of those parts are lurking on some Dealers shelves .

Recently I mentioned that the US dealer network must have something similar. I found 1988-90 DT50 headlight bulbs that way a few years ago. The closest Yamaha dealer to me has a horrible parts department but the one across town will search other dealer inventories and tell you who in the US has one.

They also have a brake shoe cross reference sheet of some kind where they can get you Yamaha shoes for older models where the parts list says the shoes are NLA.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post Swoop56

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieMini Enduro ManDevinJames Hart