facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Hello From Eastern OK!

24 Sep 2020 06:19
Vinduroman
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Hello From Eastern OK! #21
The mud up there is like valve grinding compound. It sand-papered my tank something awful. I had bare metal showing in some places.

I've never been so heart sick about a bike in all my life. Now I was faced with: Repaint the tank and it's no longer original? OR, repaint the tank and forever know it's been messed with. I ended up selling it. Huge mistake (no way to replace it), but I did what I did.

Ah well, my real "thing" in vinduro bikes are tiddlers. I'm such a sucker for a tiddler. I currently own three vinduro tiddlers, and now the wife owns one!

As for the ride: It really was like a small slice of the '73 ISDT experience! It was tough, but I was having fun, until I saw the carnage to my bike of course!

The setting for the event was simply fantastic. Both the wife and I LOVED New England! We would love to go back someday, again during the fall colors. I can't imagine what fantastic riding opportunities must have existed in New England back before the environmental concerns and land owners start closing the riding areas. I belong to the "New England Vintage Enduro Fans" FB page and I super enjoy the vintage pics of enduro riding from "back then".

ALL:

FWIW: Just ordered a set of "universal" mirrors n' mounts for the wife's AT3. Hoping they'll be here by the time we're back with the bike come next Tuesday. Gettin' excited.

V-man

'72 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'73 Yamaha AT3 (Wife's!)
'73 CZ 175 Trail
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
The following user(s) Liked this Post Von

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Sep 2020 16:29
Von
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #22

Vinduroman wrote: Day One went okay... but that Berkshire mud TRASHED the tank paint on my pristine original Jawa 250 ISDT. I was sick at heart. I withdrew the next day to prevent any further damage.

If it's a toss up between life long memories and and a worn tank....I'd go with the memories every time. I still remember my brand new xr400 which went from spot less to very second hand in a one day enduro.

Regards, Tom
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, YZBill

24 Sep 2020 23:10
YZBill
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #23

Vinduroman wrote: The setting for the event was simply fantastic. Both the wife and I LOVED New England! We would love to go back someday, again during the fall colors.

About two weeks after the event a group of us rode the entire event, except for the grass track, pulling down leftover arrows and ribbon. It was just about the peak of the fall colors and the weather was dry and partly cloudy. That combined with riding modern bikes made it a fantastic day.

25 Sep 2020 06:12
Vinduroman
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Hello From Eastern OK! #24
Tom:

Good point. I agree completely concerning my utilitarian dual sport bikes I've owned/ridden (currently a WR250R). Unfortunately, the memories of the superb event of the 2003 ISDTRR are marred to this day by still feeling the sting of what I did to my excellent '73 Jawa 250 ISDT while competing on it there.

Some bikes should live a pampered life, and that '73 Jawa 250 ISDT was one of them.

However, the 2003 ISDTRR experience eventually caused me to entirely rethink my involvement with vinduro bikes, and I've since modified the way I enjoy riding them, and it's working out great.

YZBill:

I can't imagine what an awesome ride that would have been! At the time, my woods weapon would have been a tagged XR250R and I would have LOVED to have had the opportunity to have joined you!

V-man

'72 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'73 Yamaha AT3 (Wife's!)
'73 CZ 175 Trail
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
The following user(s) Liked this Post YZBill

25 Sep 2020 17:10
2fishkev
Collector
Collector
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #25
Great thread! Leaves me feeling like I was born 20 years too late and under funded. Oh well. I’ll use my Yamahas and imagination to experience a bit of it. I think the isdt of the 60s-70s is the competition and experience I would like to have had. Once again, glad you’re here Ming.

25 Sep 2020 20:32
Vinduroman
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Hello From Eastern OK! #26
Hi again 2fishkev!

It's been a fun thread. I've enjoyed it, too.

Born too late? Well, in some ways, perhaps many of us think the same thing.

Imagination? Whew boy... you can't begin to imagine how my imagination has played into dirt biking! Trail riding in particular!

I agree: I think the ISDT's of the '60s into the '70s were fascinating. My favorite years for the ISDT and vinduro's in general is what I call the "Shiny Fender Era". That is, painted metal fenders, or chrome, or alloy/etc. I fully understand that plastic fenders, tanks, side panels for a bike that's to be taken off road is THE route to go. I get that. BUT, my tastes lean toward the "Shiny Fender Era". You'll note that ALL of my choices for vinduro tiddlers have metal fenders.

Like you, I think the ISDT's of the '60s into the '70s were more "meaningful" in that many of the bikes in use were street-legal bikes and it truly was a "reliability trial". Such began to go by the wayside as the event entered the '70s. SO, my favorite ISDT years are before the "purpose built" racing bikes with plastic tanks, fenders, and side panels.

Thanks again for the welcome, and I'm glad to be here, too. Looking forward to learning more about my wife's AT3 via this forum!

V-man

'72 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'73 Yamaha AT3 (Wife's!)
'73 CZ 175 Trail
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R

26 Sep 2020 08:50
2fishkev
Collector
Collector
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #27
I think I’ve found every ISDT video on YouTube.

26 Sep 2020 10:16
Vinduroman
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Hello From Eastern OK! #28

2fishkev wrote: I think I’ve found every ISDT video on YouTube.

Lol! Boy, I know what you mean! I've got a ton of them downloaded and saved, too! I also have some from the 1950s and some even earlier. What can I say? I just like the event, especially before the mid-70s.

I'm sure you have the Shell-sponsored film of the 1965 ISDT held at the Isle of Man? It's excellent. I don't think part one is on YouTube any more, but if you don't have Part 1, I do, and we can figure out a way to get it to you.

All fer now!

V-man

'72 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'73 Yamaha AT3 (Wife's!)
'73 CZ 175 Trail
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R

26 Sep 2020 11:46
2fishkev
Collector
Collector
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #29
I’ve never downloaded anything. Hasn’t been a habit. Now that’s a forehead slapper! Yes the shell movies are the best. I gotta go. (Need to do some downloading
:Ugh

26 Sep 2020 15:58
Bigdog302
Collector
Collector
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #30
Hi V-man, I am in the NW corner of Arkansas myself, what general area of Oklahoma are you in? I am close to Grove and Jay Oklahoma.

roughly 80 some odd miles away from Tulsa and Broken Arrow.

2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A 1974DT250A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart