facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

1979 DT250 petcock issue

31 Aug 2020 16:21
jwasser
More
Topic Author
1979 DT250 petcock issue #1
Sorry, new to the forum and to enduros. I recently picked up a '79 DT250 and after starting to go through it I am only getting good fuel flow when in reserve position, the on position is just a trickle. I have searched the forums for other articles but none really specify the 1979.
The stock petcock is no longer available and there is no alternate part number listed. 1M1-24500-03-00.

Does anybody know which one would match up to the tank and hang low enough to clear the lower lip of the tank? Or at least a rebuild kit?

Thank you
Josh

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Aug 2020 21:59
1978DT250
More
1979 DT250 petcock issue #2
I would try to clean the petcock. Remove it from the tank. There should be a tall, thin filter screen covering the two inlet pipes. If the screen is missing or damaged, dirt or other crud can get into a pipe and clog it. The bike may have sat for a long time with bad gas in the tank too. More than likely, one of these things has happened to your petcock. The "on" (longer) pipe is clogged and the "reserve" (shorter) pipe is not. Remove and clean the sediment bowl first, reinstall it. You should be able to remove the filter screen by gently rocking it back and forth. Next, use compressed air to blow out the petcock from the carb discharge side while it is in the "on" position. Turn it to reserve and repeat blowing it out with air. If you can't get the air to blow out the blockage, you may need to use a very small drill bit to coax the crud out from the top of the pipe. Carb cleaner may come in handy at this point. Hopefully, the oval sealing gasket will work again when you reinstall the petcock. If not, they are still available for sale. Good luck, let us know how it works out.
The following user(s) Liked this Post RT325

01 Sep 2020 04:47
Devin
Supporting Moderator
Supporting Moderator
More
1979 DT250 petcock issue #3
Welcome! I agree that the OEM petcock can be rebuilt.

01 Sep 2020 05:00
Devin
Supporting Moderator
Supporting Moderator
More
1979 DT250 petcock issue #4

01 Sep 2020 07:15
jwasser
More
Topic Author
1979 DT250 petcock issue #5
Thank you. I'll give that a try and let you know how it turns out.

01 Sep 2020 08:15 01 Sep 2020 08:16 by 1978DT250.
1978DT250
More
1979 DT250 petcock issue #6
From the parts breakdown Devin supplied, It looks like the petcock handle can be disassembled too. If memory serves, the small screw on top (#17) can be removed to disassemble the lever. It may help to remove it to further clean the petcock if the air doesn't fix the problem.
The following user(s) Liked this Post jwasser

20 Sep 2020 22:16
jwasser
More
Topic Author
1979 DT250 petcock issue #7
I finally had some time to work on my bike. Thank you for all the advice after a good cleaning, new O rings, and new fuel lines she is running / idling perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The following user(s) Liked this Post Devin, MarkT, RT325, Gr8uncleal, 1978DT250

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart